Now some fueling (?) gremlins...

Hi, thanks for your support at fixing the electrical issues i was facing, now I have another small issue.  The car has been sitting for 7 months without running much as I was fixing the papers and doing the maintenance (from June 2021 to now).  The few times i have been driving it last year, all was running well.  during the maintenance we replaced all fuel lines, adjusted the carbs (Weber DCOE 40, no rebuild), and replaced the fuel filter and i fitted the fuel antitheft device from Marco on the fuel cap .  Last week, i could go out twice over the weekend, doing about 200kms (only issue, angle drive probably broken, i lost the speedo).  

The car starts fine (i don't use the choke on Webers) i let it run idle for a few minutes, then i have a steep 10m long incline (enough to have the exhaust just touching ground) to climb going out of the garage.  After 2 or 3 miles i do have some engine hesitations, maybe 4 or 5 brief hic hups coming i believe from fuel starvation, then it goes away completely and does not happen even if i stop the engine and restart.  It is not enough for the engine to stall, if give more gas it is more pronounced and if i keep just a little gas it is a smaller hesitation.

i was thinking that climbing those 10m would shake the fuel in the tank and maybe I have some **** going into the carb?  Or shaking the fuel bowl causing some dust/gum to go to the jets?  Should i clean the fuel filter into the carb?

I will probably keep going with fresh fuel, do more miles and see if that happens on cold start without the incline, anything else i should check?

have a great sunny day,

Laurent

Fresh fuel for a start if your running on the same fuel thats sat there for 7 months. Change filters and have a good look in the tank, what pump are you running?

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart,

Will do,

I refilled a couple of times, so 50% of that fuel must still be quite old.

i'm running the repro mechanical pump (no lever, no brand on it) that came with the car and have an original AC as a spare.

Laurent

All Photos - 1 of 1 (2).jpeg

Edited by Lo100469

Hi James, you are right and checked again and i think I found the Titanic in there.... there is indeed quite a lot of grunge.

Now i don't have a spare joint, I will go to my mechanic tomorrow to see if he has one and get it cleaned.

Laurent

If there's that much material in the filter bowl, your tank may be shedding small particles of rust, which will block the gauze and cause the engine to misfire and/or stall - see my article in Section K3 of the Technicalities CD, or in TR Action 144 (Jan/Feb 1998), which can be accessed on-line in the club's website.

Ian Cornish