Weekend ahead and electrics have gone crazy on lighting

Favour Urgently needed for weekend ahead 

I  have no headlamps and no rear lights and I think I could probably eventually get to it if I had more time on my hands  but I was wondering if somebody with a bit more experience could point me to a quicker resolution

Red and green single wire which goes to the fuse and to which then splits into two reds has power to it but only when I move the lights lever one click when I move it two clicks no power so I’m a bit confused on how this lever actually works

The second one is that my indicators have also stopped working

I am guessing maybe a bad Earth or something behind the dashboard but the last thing I need is to pull the dashboard out just before heading away on the weekend so was after any places to go to?

Suggestions most welcome from 10 pm in my garage …..Also it was seem to be driving fine last November….. typical

Richard

There should be power to that red/green wire on both the first click (sidelights only) and second ( sides plus heads).  If there isn't it points to a problem inside the switch  - maybe a corroded contact.  A bit of contact-cleaner spray may help followed by repeated operation of the switch. 

The indicators fault is probably not related to that.  Does the  hazards flasher work?  If so it shows the wiring and earthing is OK but there could be a similar bad contact problem inside the indicators switch  - or else the flasher unit is u/s.  

Thanks Rob

so how does the second click work on the lever  if there is already power on one click to the red/green??

Agree on blinkers - think that’s a red herring maybe 

Richard

I've not had one to bits but normally the 'wiper' contact (from the white/purple ) inside the switch is wide enough to make to both contacts when in the second position.  It makes to the red/green wire alone in the first position and to both the red/green and the blue wires in the second. 

The diagram of the switch in the advance autowire schematic doesn't show that properly. 

Edited by RobH
14 minutes ago, RobH said:

I've not had one to bits but normally the 'wiper' contact (from the white/purple ) inside the switch is wide enough to make to both contacts when in the second position.  It makes to the red/green wire alone in the first position and to both the red/green and the blue wires in the second. 

The diagram of the switch in the advance autowire schematic doesn't show that properly. 

Ah . . ok.  Whats also odd is when I move to switch position two, the red/green goes off at fuse, so I think this switch is a good starting point but what I did not say is I did not do a voltage test  (I only used a circuit tester)  at the red/green at fuse as theoretically, the backlights and front running lights should have come on for one click and they do not.

4 minutes ago, AarhusTr6 said:

but what I did not say is I did not do a voltage test  (I only used a circuit tester)  at the red/green at fuse as theoretically, the backlights and front running lights should have come on for one click and they do not.

Ok so that could be a blown fuse or bad contact to it.  Unlikely to be an earth if it affects both the front and back lights.  It's easy enough to test the lights are working - switch the light switch to 'off' and  just bridge between the red wires and the purple wires at the fusebox. All the sidelamps should light.

Have you tried swapping the Fuses. I've had a few that were faulty with the internal wire not soldered to the end cap. 

Tim

As youve lost indicators as well I would have a look up under the dash where all the joints from the light switch and the indicator switch join the main loom.as well as the above suggestions.

Stuart.

I think the switch has gone south. Or a cable has pulled off the back of the switch.

1. Bridging the brown and red/ green should bring on the sidelights.
  2. Check the brown wire for battery voltage
  3. Bridge brown to blue should bring on the headlights
  4. If still nothing is working check the bullet connectors under the dashboard 
  5. Indicators: The supply comes from the white power cable off the back of the ignition switch….. Does the engine run? That cable also feeds the fuel pump!
  6. So. Ignition on. Select the indicator left or right. And check for voltage at the indicator flasher unit.
  7. No voltage? Again check the bullet connectors under the dashboard 

Richard -

Do you have sidelights illuminating when your switch is one click down? 

If you do - both front and rear sidelights - then it is a fault at your dipswitch (this has just happened to me).  Best undo the dipswitch from the bulkhead on the left hand side in your driver's footwell, adjacent to the Clutch pedal.  Then check that all 3 Lucar connectors are fitted securely to the dipswitch - if they all are then the dipswitch may be at fault - if not then reconnect the wires to the Dipswitch with the Vertical / End Lucar blade on the dipswitch is connected to the solid Blue wire, the top Lucar blade (nearest to the switch knob) is connected to the Blue and Red wire (for dipped headlights), and the bottom Lucar blade (nearest to the Bulkhead) is connected to the Blue and White wire (for Main Beam Headlights).

Good luck!

Mark