New surrey top

3 hours ago, Phil Read said:

There are a couple of Surry tops on ebay at the moment.

At a price :o and they arent a complete set plus they all need work!

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally the surrey top is fitted.  It was not that straightforward and the vinyl roof and supporting frame took quite a lot of fettling. Also gluing/riveting the top rail to the front of the vinyl roof took two goes as first time it wasn't quite centralised.   I have not wet weather tested it yet and I suspect it may leak a bit in the corners by the windscreen - I think this is a common problem with them.   It gives good unencumbered space behind the seats big enough for a medium sized labrador.  The folded up roof and frame does take up quite a lot of boot space however.

I attach some photos which are hopefully self explanatory.

IMG_6879004.jpg

IMG_6881006.jpg

IMG_6884009.jpg

IMG_6885010.jpg

IMG_6887012.jpg

IMG_6888013.jpg

3 hours ago, Alan B said:

Finally the surrey top is fitted.  It was not that straightforward and the vinyl roof and supporting frame took quite a lot of fettling. Also gluing/riveting the top rail to the front of the vinyl roof took two goes as first time it wasn't quite centralised.   I have not wet weather tested it yet and I suspect it may leak a bit in the corners by the windscreen - I think this is a common problem with them.   It gives good unencumbered space behind the seats big enough for a medium sized labrador.  The folded up roof and frame does take up quite a lot of boot space however.

IMG_6879004.jpg

IMG_6881006.jpg

IMG_6884009.jpg

IMG_6885010.jpg

IMG_6887012.jpg

IMG_6888013.jpg

Alan...I like your green accents in the interior. How did you manage the door cappings complex shape.

Also please advise source of dash fascia.

Edited by Malbaby
16 hours ago, Alan B said:

IMG_6879004.jpg

It looks as if the front of the Surrey is a bit narrow, it should come round and down further than that at the front, I take it you unpicked the soft section front to fit it? I buy unfinished front new ones to get over that problem.

Stuart.

RIMG0048.JPG

Edited by stuart

Not sure if they have been removed but the front two legs should have rubber end caps in place which secures the legs in the header.

Stops rattles and wear.

They are shaped rather like the traditional hats worn by Welsh ladies.....or a truncated witches hat.

I have had this car for 12 years and the previous owner spent a lot of money having the interior done very nicely.  I don't know where the work was done. I do know the dash panel came from Rimmers in 2004 and cost £165 + vat.  The seats were also in black/green leather but I recently replaced them with MX5 seats which have headrests - this was prompted after being hit quite hard from behind.

The hood frame side arms were about 2cms too long so I had to cut them, flatten the ends in a vice and fit small bolts to act as lugs to fit into the top rail. Thank you for the tips about welsh ladies hats -  unfortunately I don't know any welsh ladies.

Thanks also for the comment about the front of the roof being too narrow.  We did unpick the original front of the roof and sew on a new vinyl front strip which was then glued and riveted to the top rail - we did this quite carefully.

image.png.cf5fc8dd8f1d61b539e327287a9bec65.pngBush end, rubber item 59 with Moss (aka Welsh ladies hat).

With luck it may fit the end of your bolts....gaffer tape alternatively.

6 hours ago, Alan B said:

I have had this car for 12 years and the previous owner spent a lot of money having the interior done very nicely.  I don't know where the work was done. I do know the dash panel came from Rimmers in 2004 and cost £165 + vat.  The seats were also in black/green leather but I recently replaced them with MX5 seats which have headrests - this was prompted after being hit quite hard from behind.

The hood frame side arms were about 2cms too long so I had to cut them, flatten the ends in a vice and fit small bolts to act as lugs to fit into the top rail. Thank you for the tips about welsh ladies hats -  unfortunately I don't know any welsh ladies.

Thanks also for the comment about the front of the roof being too narrow.  We did unpick the original front of the roof and sew on a new vinyl front strip which was then glued and riveted to the top rail - we did this quite carefully.

8 minutes ago, Alan B said:

re welsh hats - I have had a look at Moss and can't find them.  I have used heatshrink but I think it will come off.

Item 59 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/weather-equipment/hard-tops/surrey-top-fittings-tr4-4a-1961-67.html

Stuart.

On 5/31/2022 at 11:11 AM, TR4TUNE said:

Not sure if they have been removed but the front two legs should have rubber end caps in place which secures the legs in the header.

Stops rattles and wear.

They are shaped rather like the traditional hats worn by Welsh ladies.....or a truncated witches hat.

My rubber caps stay behind in the header. Less chance of losing them, and they keep the rain out of the windscreen frame.

My wife is Welsh, and has been called a truncated witch, but she doesn't have a hat like that!...

Pete