High friends of TR3

I'm living in Germany and owning a TR3 from 1959. I made a near complete renovation including motor restauration by changing all sealings besides the one on the cam shaft - too complex for me. So oil ist still coming out at the rear end - but this seems to be normal.

The problem I have is a leakage at the tubes around the push rods that move the valves (I'm not shure about the correct naming of those parts). Those 8 short tubes at the left side of the cylinder head are all leak at the interface to the cylinder head (not clear on which side or on both). Does anybody have an idea how to seal or to replace those? In order to understand what I'm talking about I do add picture. 

I do appreciate any support on that subject.

Juergen Jung (djaidjai)

cylinder head.jpg

DSC_0136.JPG

DSC_0170.JPG

Hi Jeurgen,

This is a common problem among all the 4 pot engines, the tubes are simply pushed into the head and the hope is that they will seal just like that, and once they do start leaking you need a sealer that will cure in the presence of oil (or remove them and start again with new tubes),  .... what worked for me was to get a ball bearing slightly bigger than the tube, some bungs (rubber or cork) to fill the mouth of each tube, then get the engine hot, quickly remove the rocker shaft and push rods, bung each tube with the corks and surround the top of each tube with a ring of Locktite 648 (this cures anaerobically as it is drawn down between the tube and the head, also it's thin) leave the engine to cool completely then clean up any excess 648 and remove the corks, then stick the ball bearing in the top of each tube and give the ball a whack with a hammer to further spread the top of the tube and with a bit of luck no more oil leaks from there, though you can bet that the oil will try to get out somewhere else, after all it's a Triumph, this is what they do!! 

Cheers Rob