Wiper Motor Comparisons

I believe both motors are  the same wattage.  

On the '4A motor the fast speed is obtained by weakening the field strength which means more speed but less torque.  The '6 wiper motor uses an extra brush in a different position on the commutator to get the faster speed, so doesn't lose torque. 

The other differences are the extra wiring for the self-park function and the completely different switch. 

Hi Mal,

they are very different beasts.

The TR6 (14W) motor is very powerful in both speeds compared to the TR4A DR3 motor

The TR6 motor uses a totally different switch from the DR3 and is essential to make it work as it should.

In terms of operating power there is no comparison. If you hold a TR6 wiper blade and turn the wiper on the car will flip over :ohonest.

It will wipe a dry screen with no problems.

If you are considering swapping from DR3 to 14W then you can use the existing wheel boxes (awkward job to replace)  and rack BUT you will need a new 90 or 95 degree gear wheel for the 14W motor.  This increase the torque of the standard TR6 14W motor.   SVC stock all the parts  https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/category/wiper-systems-and-part/

Roger

Like this Andy:     (acknowledgement to Steves_TR6 who posted this diagram in Feb.)

1156470156_TR6wipersystem.jpg.77dcc440b78e0f0bf58f72bd6126e48c.jpg

Edited by RobH
On 4/19/2022 at 5:30 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Mal,

they are very different beasts.

The TR6 (14W) motor is very powerful in both speeds compared to the TR4A DR3 motor

The TR6 motor uses a totally different switch from the DR3 and is essential to make it work as it should.

In terms of operating power there is no comparison. If you hold a TR6 wiper blade and turn the wiper on the car will flip over :ohonest.

It will wipe a dry screen with no problems.

If you are considering swapping from DR3 to 14W then you can use the existing wheel boxes (awkward job to replace)  and rack BUT you will need a new 90 or 95 degree gear wheel for the 14W motor.  This increase the torque of the standard TR6 14W motor.   SVC stock all the parts  https://www.s-v-c.co.uk/category/wiper-systems-and-part/

Roger

Thanks Roger...I have a later model wiper motor, the gear wheel is marked at 100deg....

Using the 4A wiper wheel boxes you recommend 90 or 95 gear wheel... Is one a better option than the other?

Hi Mal,

when I chose a gear wheel size I calculated (haphazardly) 90 degrees.  Upon switch on 95 would have given a very small improvement

However 90' does a good job.

Using 100' I think you would overrun the glass edge by  along way.

Roger

Hi Mal

if you need any tips on wiring the ‘surprisingly sophisticated’ tr6 wiper motor just ask

steve