Electric tyre inflator

Gentlemen,

Can anyone recommend an electric tyre inflator please?

I bought a £30.00 Michelin one last week and it took 45 minutes to inflate the tyres on my modern car which were a bit low on pressure, it went back to Halfords for a refund. I want to replace it with an effective one.

Thanks

Graham

I'm not a fan of those things.  

The small motors can only pump a tiny amount of air so it takes a loooong time. They are incredibly noisy, and you can only run them for a few minutes before they overheat and have to be left to cool down else the plastic bits melt.  I've tried a couple and gone back to a decent foot-pump.  So much quicker. 

54 minutes ago, RobH said:

I'm not a fan of those things.  

The small motors can only pump a tiny amount of air so it takes a loooong time. They are incredibly noisy, and you can only run them for a few minutes before they overheat and have to be left to cool down else the plastic bits melt.  I've tried a couple and gone back to a decent foot-pump.  So much quicker. 

Your not kidding, many years ago I got called out to arrange recovery of a MK10 Jaguar that had been squeezed into a single garage a lot of years previous and there was no nearby electric and all the tyres were flat, I had to spend several days back and fore with a little battery operated pump to get the tyres up enough to get it hauled out of there!

Stuart.

I have to say I have had the opposite experience, I use an ex Audi one on my TR6 and have inflated a number of tyres now from flat in only a couple of minutes. It gets power via a cigarette / power socket which I fitted into the radio blanking plate. 

Derek  

Also worth considering is one of the new generation of cordless/rechargeable mini compressors specially for pumping up tyres - I'm sure the likes of Lidl and Aldi have done them but I have no details or experience of using them but they look potentially useful - maybe something like this on fleabay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353745631165?epid=0&hash=item525ce1f7bd:g:KdUAAOSwUjhiVm~9

Cheers Rich

I have a hand operated pump which is not unlike the stirrup pumps which we had during the war to extinguish small fires.

It has a pair of feet on which one stands, and a pressure gauge.

Reasonably rapid in operation, and effort not too great.

Mine was made by Delta-Sport Handelskontor (German), but on eBay I see there is a very similar pump:  XLC Delta Track Pump with Gauge at £19.99 Inc. delivery.

Ian Cornish