Starter Motor Whirring

Good morning All

I recently connected up my original starter motor for the first time during my restoration.

On attaching the battery I immediately had a spark at the battery terminals (implying load) and the start motor began whirring - The starter did not engage. Furthermore I did not attempt to energise the starter solenoid.

What in the starter motor would cause this?

Dave

I believe the TR5 has a 'pre-engaged' starter.

The solenoid on that both throws the motor into engagement and 'makes' a contact to power it.   It might be that the contacts are stuck in the 'made' position so the motor will run as soon as power is connected even though the solenoid has not operated. 

There are two heavy connections on the rear of the solenoid. The top one is the power input and the bottom is the link to the motor armature. If there is permanent continuity between those terminals, the contact is stuck. 

Thanks Rob

One step forward- I have removed the starter from the vehicle, after removal of the exhaust uuurghhh.:wacko:

I suspect you are correct - I will replace the solenoid and take it from there...Apparently the contact assembly can be disassembled with some desoldering, but for the replacement cost I will be just replace with a new one.

Dave

On 4/18/2022 at 12:14 PM, Cumulus said:

Thanks Rob

One step forward- I have removed the starter from the vehicle, after removal of the exhaust uuurghhh.:wacko:

I suspect you are correct - I will replace the solenoid and take it from there...Apparently the contact assembly can be disassembled with some desoldering, but for the replacement cost I will be just replace with a new one.

Dave

There are two types of solenoid.

One is attached by bolts the other by studs.  Be sure to get the correct replacement.

Your starter should have a number stamped on its casing.....

If your starter is Lucas 418G   25626  Then Lucas part number solenoid 76786  (stud type) 

Wood Auto SND1408  https://www.woodauto.com/product/SND1408

If your starter is Lucas 2M100   25647  Then Lucas part number solenoid 76929  (bolt type) 

Wood Auto SND1406  https://www.woodauto.com/product/SND1406

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

This has to be something simple Dave - power just shouldn't be able to get to the motor except via the solenoid contacts.  You can't have two faulty solenoids, surely?   Is there something shorting out between the two large connector lugs? 

I have disassembled the motor:

The Motor Lead insulation was damaged, in addition the paper/card Insulation Strip was falling apart.

I cleaned up all the components, repaired the insulation and that rectified the issue:D. - bench tested

Thanks for the input and encouragement.

Dave  

Starter Motor disassembled.jpg

IMG_4480.jpg