Max bolt torques, but what about nuts?

17 hours ago, Charlie D said:

John,

I think Ralph is implying that you grip the wrench in the vice so that you pull it horizontally with the spring balance, so the weight of the handle does not upset the reading. (As Waldi mentioned.)

Charlie.

Spot on Charlie, that`s exactly what I do.  Might see if I can blag a large weight though and do the hanging method in case my spring balance is not reading correctly. It is one bought from a fishing tackle shop for weighing your catch, goes up to 50lbs.

Ralph

20 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ralph,

'lead linger' is a thread like material somewhat like thin gauge solder but without the flux.

It is gently wound around the base of the stud and when the washer and nut squeeze down it makes a good fluid seal.

Roger

Do we know a source for this lead linger?  It just so happens that I do have an oil weep from the oil pressure adjuster as Stuart said.

Ralph

18 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

I didn't understand Ralph's "grip the square in the vice with the handle horizontal so that the weight of the handle does not affect the readings,"  unless 'horizontal'  meant "vertical"!   In which case, a spring balance would be necessary to exert a measured torque on the wrench.   But IMHO the weight of the handle is  trivial.

John

PS   Just checked my own and weighed the wrench itself.    2.5lbs, so you can add that to the test weight, or IMHO ignore it.

2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Do we know a source for this lead linger?  It just so happens that I do have an oil weep from the oil pressure adjuster as Stuart said.

Ralph

IIRC Revingtons used to sell it, but its difficult to find now. I would use a drop of liquid PTFE on the thread as you screw it in.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

PS   Just checked my own and weighed the wrench itself.    2.5lbs, so you can add that to the test weight, or IMHO ignore it.

Exactly John,

if the COG (say half the length of the wrench) is about 1’, the error is 1 ft.lbs, so very small.

Cheers,
Waldi

12 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Ralph

I believe it's just soft lead wire, which is often used by scale modellers and available here: https://www.scalemodelshop.co.uk/search/accessories-c4/metals-c228/lead-wire-c286/lead-wire

Pete

FWIW, I have used some Code 4 lead flashing to make a lead washer for my oil pressure adjuster. I also used it to make washers that sit under any earth connections to the bodywork. It prevents corrosion whilst making a good connection. 

Rgds Ian