Repairing radiator header tank seam leak

Welcome to Bodge City

Trickle from the soldered seam where the extension header meets the top tank.

2 choices after the K Seal did not fix it.

Remove the apron and resolder.  Or.  Scrape clean locally and apply some goop.   Which goop to use?   Went with JB Weld.  Refilled with fresh water and antifreeze, run up to temp, bled system at thermostat housing and heater, left for system to pressurise and the electric fan to cut in.   No leaks spotted yet.   
Gave the drain tap too much welly and have broken the lever off it.   It is the block one so have replaced the tap with a stainless blanking plug.   Had to buy 5 so have a couple spare if any one is stuck.   The Moss mild steel one is £6.00   I paid half that.

Found a lot of white corrosion on the aluminium parts.   Car radiator cooling system runs blue antifreeze.  50/50 mix with rain water.  Brushed clean and refitted.

36F9FF1D-91FC-44D4-8CB8-C58F4A1C32A6.jpeg

2B3082B7-FCEE-41A6-B295-E593C38BB218.jpeg

B60E7485-7D13-49F6-B422-1945CDE35F5E.jpeg

F8710C1D-6A19-40B8-A5D1-93DD74360E26.jpeg

7E980C32-6401-43B4-BA6A-F7610A6C0428.jpeg

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
  • BlueTR3A-5EKT changed the title to Repairing radiator header tank seam leak
1 minute ago, Lebro said:

Simple answer, remove rad, remove all traces of JB weld, & re-solder the joint ( or get a rad repairer to do it if not confident.)

Bob

And add strengthening web at the same time. (Known fault)

Stuart.

1 hour ago, RogerH said:

There is nothing better than an aerospace bodge :P

The white deposits are where the anti freeze isn't.

Can the pipe, where the hose fits, be cleaned and painted in some wonderous stuff.

Roger

Given Alochrom yes Roger.   I just don’t have a sensible source now.    Maybe just a coating of lacquer will help.

Won’t the SS bolt set up a bit of electrolytic corrosion? It certainly does in the salt water boat world.

For what it’s worth, from memory, a standard non overdrive gearbox or diff. drain bolt does an excellent job as a non leaking drain tap replacement.

james

Edited by james christie
18 minutes ago, james christie said:

Won’t the SS bolt set up a bit of electrolytic corrosion? It certainly does in the salt water boat world.

For what it’s worth, from memory, a standard non overdrive gearbox or diff. drain bolt does an excellent job as a non leaking drain tap replacement.

james

Yes you can force it into the block, however, the block is not tapped BSP, which the drain plugs of sump, axle and gearbox are.   It is UNF.  There is an one tpi difference.  Brass BSP drain tap will force into the cast iron block ok ish.  But I’d be wary of doing same with a malleable iron plug

My stainless plug is coated in E-Z Break hopefully to stop the stainless galling and seizing.  https://markal.com/products/ez-break-nickel-grade

F9F92A67-C24C-4BBD-A6AE-6DCC17CD9FFE.webp

3 hours ago, james christie said:

I thnk that’s the bit that does the sealing - with a bit of help from the ptfe tape!

james

Bit like    ….

How tight?

Easy,

up till it shears then back a flat.  

I had the same problem with my Radiator, tried all the quick fixes, K Seal, The French equivelent of JB weld etc all worked for a while then it started weeping again. Only fix that has worked long term was to remove radiator clean off all the JB weld Kseal etc and then resolder the joints. Still ok after 3 years, should have put in strengthening webs as suggested by Stuart but did not think of it at the time.

cheers

Alan

7 minutes ago, Kiwifrog said:

I had the same problem with my Radiator, tried all the quick fixes, K Seal, The French equivelent of JB weld etc all worked for a while then it started weeping again. Only fix that has worked long term was to remove radiator clean off all the JB weld Kseal etc and then resolder the joints. Still ok after 3 years, should have put in strengthening webs as suggested by Stuart but did not think of it at the time.

cheers

Alan

Well done Alan,

and as Mr. Punch would say  -  "That's the way to do it"

Roger