TR4a rear brakes...

Hi

Pulling my hair out.   I have replaced rear cylinders, brake pipes, welded up the ruts the handbrake lever made, bled the brakes, greased all the relevant sliding parts, and still the brakes refuse to slide as they are supposed to. Only the cylinder piston-side shoe moves,  and then occasionally the piston comes out too far and leaks.  I have done the work at least twice to ensure all was correct, but to no avail.  

My last hope is that the doing it with the brake drums on will work, but then I can't see if does or not, or if the cylinders are leaking.   

Any suggestions?

Dave

===

I think it will only work with the drums on Dave.

The moving shoe has to be stopped by the drum before any force is transferred backwards to move the cylinder. Without anything to react against, the piston just keeps going as you have found.  

Edited by RobH

Hi Dave,

are you able to move the slave cylinder back and forth with your hands  (even a small amount)??

If yes then put the drum on and off you go.

If no, then consider opening the groove in the slave where the plates slip in to give it a tad more tolerance.

Roger 

Have you smoothed off the ridges where the shoes slide?

As Roger says, move the whole cylinder/brake shoe assembly back & forth  by hand to check.

Jerry

This - “Have you smoothed off the ridges where the shoes slide”

When I rebuilt the rear brakes on my TR4A (live axle) the cylinders did not move freely in the backing plate. I found that some “flash” from that casting process was present where the cylinders traveled in the plate. I filed that excess material off, and they moved freely. Also verify you have the 3 securing clips installed correctly. Here is a link that lists the correct procedure.

https://www.macysgarage.com/wheel cyl install.htm

Jim

You should be able to slide the cylinder by hand - not easily but clear sliding. If not run a file in the slot and check you have no restriction before putting the retaining shims back on.

Neither the hand brake nor the foot brake will move the cylinder until the drum is in place to react against. The resistance the springs provide is equal on both sides of the wheel cylinder so will not move it. 

• 1 month later...

Might I ask..  what brake shoes are recommended for a normal-road-use TR4A.?  Mine are well worn, although the brake calipers have been replaced twice in the last 30k miles ..which most likely those shoes have been fluid leaked upon and cleaned off on those occasions.  It's time to pull things apart front and rear, and to reset their clocks, so to speak.    

Cheers, Pete