Paddy Hopkirk 89 Today

Paddy Hopkirk, celebrates his 89th birthday today. 

Known chiefly for his outstanding victory in a Morris Cooper S on the 1964 Monte Carlo, did you know he also won the 1958 Circuit of Ireland Rally with Jack Scott in a TR3a no less? ( the Mini below is a replica of the Works original I believe).

( Could TRR /Wayne Scott get an interview with Paddy I wonder if not already done)??

Kevin

FEAECDC1-7E4F-4064-97CC-F318AC9D854F.jpeg

90CC8184-1B7E-4879-A682-0B3D5D7EC8A5.jpeg

Edited by boxofbits

Paddy driving my TR3 at a photoshoot in 2013 at the Millbrook Proving Ground. Look at his smile! His comment on returning from the Alpine Track was that it went really well, particularly using overdrive in 2nd, flat out round a hairpin. I winced. Drive it like you stole it!

Mick

Paddy Hopkirk - TR3.jpg

I’d be just as interested to know if the Works Triumph TR3a VRW 220 still exists? 

It doesn’t appear on DVLA database though doesn’t mean it’s not hidden away in a barn in France or registered abroad for instance.

Maybe it got written off or broken up? Who was the last known owner? Is there a story on it?

Kevin

I’m pretty sure VRW220, does exist…………..however, it was rolled into a ball at Bardon? Hill Climb in the 60’s. Last thought to be under a tarpaulin……

Mike Ellis will be along in a bit to confirm or otherwise. 

Iain

Overdrive was used on 2, 3 and 4 on the Works' Rally TR4s, which were producing some 135/140 BHP.

Exceedingly useful when climbing hills as it bridges the rather large gap between 2 and 3, and there were lots of hill climbs in the Rallies in the Alps in 1962/3.

Also useful when tootling through towns, as it reduces the revs.

Ian Cornish

On 4/20/2022 at 5:50 PM, lynchpin said:

Have been told by many people not to use OD on 2nd gear as it brakes the box, have done it a few times but not for long, answers on a postcard please..

Phil..

A type overdrives are fine with even heavy use of 2nd overdrive on 4 cylinder cars, J types arent keen on it hence why CR model TR6 with J types only have it available on 3rd and 4th.

One thing you do need to be careful with is very hard use of 2nd overdrive on a 6cylinder IRS car that hasnt had a proper diff mount upgrade as that will result in chassis cracks round the pins.

Stuart.

Yes - use it, Phil.

At Kop Hill, I run flat out to something over 5000 in 2nd and engage overdrive (without lifting right foot!), getting instantaneous change into overdrive 

Very satisfying!

Ian Cornish