Golden Age of Music

My son and I were having a conversation recently about bands and the number of concerts I had been to in the seventies. He (reluctantly) agreed that it really was a golden age. To name just a few of the bands/artists we talked about, in no particular order:

• Led Zeppelin 
  • The Rolling Stones 
  • The Beatles
  • Van Morrison
  • Queen
  • Jefferson Airplane 
  • Janis Joplin
  • Pink Floyd
  • Free
  • Bob Dylan

can anyone else produce a list of similar quality from another age?

Rgds Ian

Well, I saw Little Richard and Gene Vincent in Maidstone in the 1960s. A decade later the students' union at a college in Cardiff asked me to be a safety electrician when they had gigs in their hall - free beer and live music, how could I refuse! A bit of a mixed bag of performers: Scorpions, The Kinks, Ten Years Later (Alvin Lee's re-formed Ten Years After), Racing Cars, Andy Fraser, and a few others I can't remember (see reference to free beer). I also went to the Isle of Wight festival in '69 so would have seen Bob Dylan, The Band, The Who, Free, Joe Cocker, The Bonzo Dog Band and the Moody Blues, but strangely I can't remember any of the festival, just the journey there!

I've seen the Stones twice - the first time was in a pub in or around Richmond - cost half a crown I think. The second time was in Leeds, cost £70!

Pete

Most of my stuff in the late 60's happened in/around Brunel Uni in Uxbridge.

Floyd with Sid - they were not to every one's taste at the time.  Floyd in the 90's - much better.

Jon Hiseman with Dick HS on sax  went don a treat. I went down (onto the floor) due to somebodies smoke fumes 

Alan Price - very musical.

At the Acton  Brunel annexe - a North Eastern band were just starting out on a decent career - 'Fog on the Tyne' was well greeted and played live before it was recorded.  Lindisfarne  were worth the entrance fee.

My mate Paul Fox did well for himself - he ended up being lead guitar for the Ruts. 

But I thought his better music was before he became  crackers. Some beautiful Cream and Hendrix.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Just for the record I wasn't suggesting that I had seen all of my list live, although I have seen most of them.  It was just that we had so much choice and look how many of them went on to become classics?

Rgds Ian

There are also soooo many local tribute bands that are beyond excellent. Plus the original artists making a come back.

Next Wednesday we are off to see Cliff Bennett and the Rabel rousers - looking forward tr it.

Another local group is 'Purple Haze' They are Jimi Hendrix.  Plus the best of Deep Purple.  https://www.lemonrock.com/purplehazeuk

Drummer Les Binks giving it every thing.

Roger

Growing up in London in the 70s ….

good times . Astoria , Roundhouse , Marquee , Wembley and the good old Hammersmith Odeon . Music was a big part of my life (and still is )

My list …

Deep Purple , Hawkwind , Rainbow , whitesnake , UFO , Rush , Motörhead , Pink Floyd , Black Sabbath …

When the New Wave of British Heavy Metal (nwobhm ) kicked off …

Angelwitch , Iron Maiden , Wytchfynde , Tank , Saxon , Fist , Gaskin …to name but a few .

The Sex Pistols we’re a fave as well .

Hi Ian,

I first heard Floyd live in 69 and thought they were loud and unmusical

I then heard them love again in 1994 - the sound and performance was totally different and beautiful.

I appreciate that DSotM came out in the early 70's and stayed at the top for almost ever - it took Sid to leave to spark the change.

But for me the live performance took 20 odd years to come about and show the difference.

Roger

Here’s a curved ball then, Van der Graaf Generator, very much a minority band, started in 1967 and still filling the smaller venues today with three of the 4 original members and performing new material rather than relying on the back catalogue. Filled the London Palladium in February with great reviews and all over 74! Stable mates of Lindisfarne and Genesis on the Famous Charisma label.

Tim

10 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian,

I first heard Floyd live in 69 and thought they were loud and unmusical

I then heard them love again in 1994 - the sound and performance was totally different and beautiful.

I appreciate that DSotM came out in the early 70's and stayed at the top for almost ever - it took Sid to leave to spark the change.

But for me the live performance took 20 odd years to come about and show the difference.

Roger

Two different “animals” . Sorry couldn’t resist .

You could say that there were 3 different stages . Syd B led , Roger W led and then Dave G . 
Take  your point about the level of live performance , but equipment was much better in the Gilmour era and they had been playing together for a considerable time . The Gilmour era albums were to polished for me as were the concerts .Roger  Waters said at the time , a good copy of what a Floyd album should be .