European Breakdown Directory - Mobile APP

I am going to guess that Apple are removing the old version (with the charging/discount function) and publishing the new version that is free to all. They have been very slow at doing updates, so please bear with us.

The latest Android version on Play Store is dated today, so should be good.

Mick

1 hour ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi Mick, What about people like me that have already paid for it. Do we get a refund?

Yes, I am sure we can do that. Please send proof of purchase/receipt/screenshot to the office with your request. I will be doing the same, I was testing the buy function without using the discount code, it worked. Haha.

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey
10 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

I am going to guess that Apple are removing the old version (with the charging/discount function) and publishing the new version that is free to all. They have been very slow at doing updates, so please bear with us.

The latest Android version on Play Store is dated today, so should be good.

Mick

Yes, I am sure we can do that. Please send proof of purchase/receipt/screenshot to the office with your request. I will be doing the same, I was testing the buy function without using the discount code, it worked. Haha.

Mick

Thanks Mick will do. Do I keep the paid app or download the newer free version?

Sadly, the latest update of the app is still not available on the Apple app store - they are taking their time!

The latest update, version 6, is on Android Play Store and most of the functions are working well. We still have a few gremlins to work on.

We have seen a surge of downloads and new accounts opened. I have just approved two suggested edits. Once you have downloaded it, open an account and send in your suggestions, the quality of the data is down to all members of TR clubs across Europe.

It has not been launched outside of the UK yet, that will come as soon as Apple get their act together.

Mick

• John Morrison changed the title to European Breakdown Directory - Mobile APP
On 4/15/2022 at 10:00 AM, Mick Forey said:

Sadly, the latest update of the app is still not available on the Apple app store - they are taking their time!

The latest update, version 6, is on Android Play Store and most of the functions are working well. We still have a few gremlins to work on.

We have seen a surge of downloads and new accounts opened. I have just approved two suggested edits. Once you have downloaded it, open an account and send in your suggestions, the quality of the data is down to all members of TR clubs across Europe.

It has not been launched outside of the UK yet, that will come as soon as Apple get their act together.

Mick

Hi Mick,

I recently joined the Dutch TRCH and they provide a list per country for many countries across Western Europe (PDF format) with garages. 

A UK list is not available however.

Cheers,
Waldi

Edit: The lists are dated 2020.

Edited by Waldi

To make it free only to members, could the info not be made available in the 'members only' part of the website - including a facility to download onto an MS computer such that it can be printed, as a PDF file maybe?

Presumably, the master version is in a proper database programme such as Access or Excel - there are many of them around - so could be translated into PDF or some other common format, at the press of a button.

Although I never had to actually use it, I have carried  a paper version of the 2005 guide (now outdated, but it was when I got it anyway) on several foreign trips. It provides an element of comfort when far from home. . . .

On 4/20/2022 at 8:13 AM, Waldi said:

Hi Mick,

I recently joined the Dutch TRCH and they provide a list per country for many countries across Western Europe (PDF format) with garages. 

A UK list is not available however.

Hi Waldi,

It is all the same data, including the UK, now all well out of date. Members can still download the old data here: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/past-issue/2015/08/0054/European-Breakdown-Directory

We have had a 62 members use the app so far despite not being available on Apple yet nor, as a consequence, launched outside the UK. We have had one new garage added in the UK and a number of reviews added. So far so good after a rocky start.

Mick

Good news: Apple have finally published the app so you can now download it to your iPhone or iPad.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tr-register/id1619093360

Waldi, please let me know how you get on with it. We are still having a few issues with links to certain websites but action is in hand to fix this.

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

Once we have 4 more members download and register the app, we will have reached the nice milestone of 250 users. Thanks to all those people who have made suggestions, added new garages and given ratings and reviews. All this data will hopefully provide you with the help you may need, so please keep it coming.

Mick

• 2 months later...

We have reached another milestone with now over 500 users and 439 garages. We have had some excellent feedback from members using the app to good effect. All of the new garages suggested by members come highly recommended from as far afield at Portugal, Spain, Germany, Ireland, France, Isle of Man and the UK. 

Please keep adding new TR or classic car experienced garages, add a review of your "go to" garage as every contribution might help somebody else to get their TR fixed and make it home safely.

Mick

On 4/29/2022 at 12:59 PM, Mick Forey said:

Good news: Apple have finally published the app so you can now download it to your iPhone or iPad.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/tr-register/id1619093360

Waldi, please let me know how you get on with it. We are still having a few issues with links to certain websites but action is in hand to fix this.

Mick

Hi Mick

Don't have an iPad or iPhone but do have a MacBook. Tried to download onto that and it says 'only available in iOS. I used the link in your post. It also says 'view in  Mac App Store' but no joy there either. Can you download onto a Mac and how? My Mac OS  is version 10.14.6 so not version 11 and don't have the Apple M1 chip either so looks like I can't access it.

Keith

13 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

Can you download onto a Mac and how?

It won't work for Intel Macs Keith. You are symied I'm afraid.  

It is really designed around GPS location services to find your location and to use your GPS navigation tools. It works on any Android or Apple smartphone.

Mick

3 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

It is really designed around GPS location services to find your location and to use your GPS navigation tools. It works on any Android or Apple smartphone.

Mick

Hello Mick - thanks for reply but don't have either Android or Apple smartphone mainly because where we live in the remote wilderness of the vale of Evesham we have no mobile signal to speak of. If there was some way of downloading a list of garages from TR website before we set off on a major road trip then it would presumably be reasonably up to date (far more than the paper version) and we could then use that?

Keith

Hi Keith, we have the same issue here in the depths of Leicestershire. However, my phone uses WiFi at home, even for making and receiving calls, and 4G on the road. A brilliant tool that I would not be without on any road trip, particularly in an old car. It has saved me so much time and money over the last few years.

If you know anybody with a smartphone, ask them to download the app. Select "Find garage" from the menu. Press the search button (the magnifying glass, top right). Enter a city where you are going to. The app will give you the nearest 50 garages in a list roughly in ascending order of distance from that city. Choose a few by clicking on them and save their contact details by taking a screen shot. This can be emailed to any other device to print etc. A long, convoluted mechanism but you will get the data.

A cheap, second-hand smartphone is the much better alternative not just for our app but for navigation and getting help when you need it. Which? even have good reviews on two new smartphones for £100: TCL 20SE or Nokia G11.  Good, basic phones, nothing fancy but they work with long battery life.

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey