European Breakdown Directory - Mobile APP

There is no plan to produce a written version as it would be out of date before it could be printed. The data in the app will be kept live by TR club members across Europe. I approved two updates yesterday. This will increase as the number of contributors increases. We plan to have an admin in each country to ensure that the data is the latest available and of the best quality to help members when they need it. It also has many functions and facilities not available on paper.

Just read the story of Val Simpson's description of the club adopting new technology as it emerged back in the '70s and '80s. We are no different today. Forums were the new radical technology in the late '90s, then came Facebook and more recently Instagram, WhatsApp etc. The club needs to keep moving ahead with technology as it did back in Val's day.

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey

Hi Mick,

Good to hear from you.

I have just contacted Wayne regarding the App, obviously I am unable to access the App, but I wondered if there are any listings for Scotland. In the old booklet on the website the only listing for Scotland was Balfron Sports Cars in Balfron, which no longer exists.

I have put my name down as a contact to assist where I can. 

I appreciate the comments regarding a hard copy, but would it be possible to have something which could be accessed via the website in addition to the App. 

Regards,

Cliff

7 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

There is no plan to produce a written version as it would be out of date before it could be printed.

There is no reason why the underlying electronic database should not be downloadable for those who do not have smart phones. The club should focus on providing its members with the best possible service for all - not on providing it exclusively on whatever technology happens to be trendy. 

4 hours ago, RobH said:

There is no reason why the underlying electronic database should not be downloadable for those who do not have smart phones. The club should focus on providing its members with the best possible service for all - not on providing it exclusively on whatever technology happens to be trendy. 

+1

Sounds easy in principle to download the database but in practice it depends on how the app is set up and how the database is configured. It would also have to be both Microsoft and Apple compatible for those with different computer operating systems. I suspect that there are technical reasons why it might not be possible to download the data in a file as suggested.

Keith

24 minutes ago, keith1948 said:

It would also have to be both Microsoft and Apple compatible for those with different computer operating systems.

No more difficult than having apps for both Android and iphone Keith, and probably a good deal easier as there are several common formats that any PC can read. 

Edited by RobH

The discount code process worked fine in testing but as soon as lots of people wanted to use it Apple decided that it was against their terms of business. Android offered a work around but we wanted to stay consistent with Apple so are currently re-working the charging process. Please bear with us while we sort this out with them. They are not the quickest at responding so it might take a day or two. In the meantime, if you are a member, please do not buy it. We still intend it to be free to members.

Mick

It has been said many times that the majority of members do not use the website for various reasons, why is it thought that they will all rush to use the “App.” when it is available?

Graham

2 hours ago, cvtrian said:

And why should we buy an app when it is supposedly a member benefit? Surely it should be free.
Ian

The cost of the App was discussed at the recent GL meeting. Whatever the cost it will be refunded to the member.

A cost was put in place to put off dodgy people that may sign up if it was free and then cause chaos.

My comment was that £4.99 was too little and should be, say £50 as it will be returned to TRR members.  This was ignored.  Just as well as it seems.

Roger

The charging/discount issue proved to be too difficult to manage: these things are never as straightforward as you first think. Therefore, the app is now free for anybody to download: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2022/04/0293/TR-Register-launches-mobile-app-to-assist-with-breakdowns-or-repairs-across-Europe

Please download it and start looking at the garages you know and trust. Give them a rating and add a review. Then look at the data in detail and suggest any edits to correct the data. All ratings, reviews and suggested edits are sent to the admin team (me) to approve or not. If you know of an excellent TR related garage, then please use the Add Garage form and submit that for review.

Many thanks for your support.

Mick

The charging/discount issue proved to be too difficult to manage: these things are never as straightforward as you first think. Therefore, the app is now free for anybody to download: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2022/04/0293/TR-Register-launches-mobile-app-to-assist-with-breakdowns-or-repairs-across-Europe

Please download it and start looking at the garages you know and trust. Give them a rating and add a review. Then look at the data in detail and suggest any edits to correct the data. All ratings, reviews and suggested edits are sent to the admin team (me) to approve or not. If you know of an excellent TR related garage, then please use the Add Garage form and submit that for review.

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey
8 minutes ago, RogerH said:

The cost of the App was discussed at the recent GL meeting. Whatever the cost it will be refunded to the member.

A cost was put in place to put off dodgy people that may sign up if it was free and then cause chaos.

My comment was that £4.99 was too little and should be, say £50 as it will be returned to TRR members.  This was ignored.  Just as well as it seems.

Roger

Clearly from Mick post the MT would prefer we wait, not to pay, I guess there are costs in making refunds including office time. Apparently though the App is not currently available. I assume from what you have said Roger you were there. What was the consensus at the GL meeting regarding this app Roger?

The majority view was very supportive.  It is a good idea and very advanced in our 'car' world.

There  was comment about having a hard copy in the glove box. This was run down by MT as it would be out of date on day one.  But is that a serious concern.

There are pro's and con;s for both versions

Roger

try and keep up Derek, haha. Please download it, it is FREE.

Roger's suggestion was not ignored, it was taken very seriously, and evaluated at length as well as alternative ideas including £5 per year subscription. In the end, as you said, it all came to nothing, thanks Apple. We have not given up on any of the suggestions but need a re-think on how to implement it.

Mick

No, create your own login as you would for any app. It is independent of the TR Register website and forum systems. We had considered linking it to our membership database but that would have been a whole new ballgame and budget.

Mick

Well I can’t find it either directly on the App Store or via the link provided on the home page, is it actually there yet?

Stuart 

58 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

Mick

Hi Mick, What about people like me that have already paid for it. Do we get a refund?

• John Morrison changed the title to European Breakdown Directory - Mobile APP