European Breakdown Directory - Mobile APP

It is with much regret that we have taken the decision to postpone the UK European Meeting until September 2021. The situation across Europe does not give confidence that the meeting will be allowed to happen and people will be able or willing to travel. We have the support of the other European clubs to move our meeting to 2021 and the Swedish, Swiss and subsequent meetings will all move back one year.

The new plan is as follows:

The weekend meeting is to be held at the Chesford Grange Hotel, near Coventry from Friday 10th through to Monday 13th September 2021, therefore three nights dinner, bed and breakfast instead of the original two nights. The timing was, once again, driven by hotel room availability. I tried to avoid clashes with other events but even Goodwood could not advise me when the revival was planned for 2021.

The tour will now take place from Monday 13th September through to Friday 17th September. The Metropole Hotel will make 50 rooms and their ballroom available and we are in discussions with other hotels in Llandrindod Wells to secure another 50-60 rooms.

The existing participants have been offered the choice of carrying their booking over to 2021 or a refund.

Mick

Hi Nigel,

The event is open to all TR Register members on a first come, first served basis. I have first offered places to those people who booked for this year to transfer their booking to the 2021 event. Booking for other members will be available in October 2020 when the dust has settled and we have agreed a new allocation of the available spaces across all of the European clubs. I will then update the event on the TR Register website: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/event/2021/09/1352/UK-European-Meeting-Coventry-September-2021-NEW-DATES which will give a link to a booking form in the membership section. I will also post on the forum that bookings are open with a link, so watch this space in 6 months time.

Mick

• Andy Moltu pinned this topic
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The European Coordinators recently held a meeting via Zoom to discuss this and subsequent European Meetings. We reviewed the bookings taken for the original 2020 UK event and agreed an allocation of the available hotel room capacity for 2021. They matched all too well, with for example all except one team from the UK having re-confirmed their booking. So priority is being given solely to those members from each club who booked for 2020. Therefore, at this time, there are no additional rooms available.

I have updated the event on the website: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/event/2021/09/1352/UK-European-Meeting-Coventry-10th-to-17th-September-2021

The coordinators will be monitoring the COVID situation and bookings across Europe as things evolve. I will keep the club membership up to date if and when there is any change to the event or availability of space.

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey

Hi John,

As stated in the post above yours, we are not currently taking any further bookings as our allocation is fully taken up by those people who originally booked for the 2020 event. If places become available I will update the website and this thread. If you would like to be added to a distribution list of similar events then please send me a pm with your email or alternatively email me at international@tr-register.co.uk

In the meantime, here is the first big touring event of next year: https://www.tr-register.co.uk/event/2021/05/2252/TR-Tours-Picos-de-Europa-tour-May-2021. I can confirm that there are spaces available for this tour. I did a tour in 2019 with Classics on the Road in the Pyrenees, it was very professionally planned and delivered, some of the best "of the beaten track" roads I have ever driven on.

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

Attendees of the virtual AGM will have also spotted the announcement that the TR Register Czech Republic http://tr-register.cz/en/about-us/ has recently joined the family of European TR clubs that join in and occasionally host the annual European Meeting. They are a relatively small club but have 8 enthusiastic members who are looking to join the UK European Meeting next September in Coventry. They are a very welcome addition to the family and it will be great see them in the UK.

Mick

• 1 month later...

Hi Mick,

I booked for the 2020 EM and I was looking forward for the 2021 event. I was eager to the visit of the Blenheim Palace, and park in the Great Courtyard as I've seen in pics of some classic cars meetings, I and my club buddies were talking about buying some Romeo and Julieta cigars to smoke while we drive our Triumphs into de Courtyard.

Yesterday I was reading about the Palace, Churchill... and I found an info about a Triathlon scheduled for the same day as our visit. Of course I thought it was a mistake, but now I'm not sure. I can't imagine a worse day than that to visit the Palace, the Blenheim Palace Triathlon is the second largest triathlon of the UK with more than 7.000 participants each year. The Great Courtyard, the gardens, lakes, roads... everything will be packed of people... 
Could you tell me anything about this?
Are you really planning to join  our small event with a 7000 people event with the health prevention measures we will have to take for sure in September in case we can  held the event?

IMG_8629a.jpg

91287270_3027320390621320_5683146974275043328_o.jpg

IMG_4985.PNG

IMG_5004.jpg

Hi Leonardo,

The Triathlon has been delayed due to COVID-19 and is now scheduled to be on the same weekend as our visit. We have held long discussions with Blenheim Palace and visited there again just before the recent lockdown. They have proposed a good solution to avoid conflict between the Triathlon and our event. They frequently hold multiple events on the same weekend, it is a very big place. Sadly, we have lost the ability to park in the grand courtyard, it was always a possibility which we accepted from day 1 when we booked it. However, they are providing us with a dedicated approach to the Palace, entrance gate, and parking, far away from the Triathlon entrance, main event space and parking. We will need to walk 800m to the Palace, crossing the cycle track, where Blenheim event marshals will be there to assist us. In addition, Blenheim will provide a small number of golf carts for those members that cannot walk the 800m. However, the Palace itself is usually less busy on Triathlon days so our visit will be even better and we still have dedicated access to the Orangery for lunch. The approach and parking is shown on the image below. We would come from the South West along the A4095 and turn left into the Palace grounds in the village of Bladon, come in through a normally closed gate and park where the large red cross is. The walking route is then across the park to the rear entrance of the Palace, close to the Orangery. The Triathlon uses the main car park which is off this image to the North and East of the Palace using the main gate off the Oxford Road, also off the image. Most of the the Triathlon event is held in the grounds to the North of the Palace. The courtyard is used for the exciting change over from one event to another, so our members can get to see this, if they wish.

We held a European coordinators meeting yesterday, by Zoom, where this was discussed and accepted by everybody as a good solution. In addition, the coordinators confirmed the high level of enthusiasm and optimism about the event going ahead in September this year. Demand for the event still meets or exceeds hotel capacity.

So far, so good in difficult times,

Mick

TR club - suggested route 2021.png

So, it's true. There's not a good solution to join a 7000 people event. I don't understand anything, and I don't understand you don't see it. We are not even going to have the posibility to have a pic with the cars and the Palace, we are not going to have the posibility to walk thorugh the wonderful gardens of the Palace... golf carts... c'mon. I guess  when the demand exceeds suply there is no need to have your "customers" happy.
Do you think we want to see the Courtyard this way?

England is full of beautiful places, castles and everything, no need to join a 7000 people event!

61638887_2411508628869169_3545019934004215808_o.jpg

We are equally disappointed but had no choice, other than cancel the visit or the event. Either would cost the club a lot of money in cancellation fees. We didn't want COVID-19 either but 2020 and 2021 are what they are, so we have to make the best of it. Interesting that in all your images of the Triathlon in the grand courtyard, there are very few spectators. Great, we will get a good view of the changeover. Yes, we will miss the photos of having 170 TRs in the grand courtyard but we will have the Palace mostly to ourselves and some of the best parts of the grounds without any crowds. Think positive, it will still be a great visit and you get to witness a Triathlon. What is not to like?

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey

I suspect when accepting others would have access, the Board were not expecting 7000.

Hopefully we will be able to have the event to attend, compared with 2020’s when We had nothing. However even if the club wanted to cancel at this stage it really isn’t an option.

23 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

We are equally disappointed but had no choice, other than cancel the visit or the event. Either would cost the club a lot of money in cancellation fees. We didn't want COVID-19 either but 2020 and 2021 are what they are, so we have to make the best of it. Interesting that in all your images of the Triathlon in the grand courtyard, there are very few spectators. Great, we will get a good view of the changeover. Yes, we will miss the photos of having 170 TRs in the grand courtyard but we will have the Palace mostly to ourselves and some of the best parts of the grounds without any crowds. Think positive, it will still be a great visit and you get to witness a Triathlon. What is not to like?

Mick

Yes you're right, we didn´t want Covid and we have to make the best of it, avoiding big crowds.

We're TRs lovers, as you can imagine, so we appreciate the beauty of things, the beauty of Blenheim, so I guess there's zero interest in a good view of a changeover of a Triathlon an zero interest in watching that competition.
You're saying that we will miss the pics of the TRs in the grand courtyard, OK, I  think positive: the south facade of the castle it's quite beautiful too, are we going  to be able to park the TRs in front of that facade for a picture? because this is what is the meeting about: TRs. 

• 1 month later...

PLACES NOW AVAILABLE for the weekend. Following a Zoom meeting this afternoon with the other European Coordinators, I can now open bookings to more UK TR Register members for the European Meeting. https://www.tr-register.co.uk/event/2021/09/1352/UK-European-Meeting-Coventry-10th-to-17th-September-2021-PLACES-NOW-AVAILABLE

We have had a small number of cancellations from clubs across Europe due to the on-going uncertainties over travel from outside the UK. Therefore, we have extended the booking period out to 2 May 2021 to allow friends from across Europe to gain more confidence in the vaccination programmes and their ability to travel to the UK and return without quarantine. As you know, the Roadmap to reduce COVID restrictions in the UK will allow meetings such as this proceed from as early as June 2021, so we are very confident that we will be "back to normal" by September.

This allows us to open up bookings to more UK members, so if you are interested then please contact me at international@tr-register.co.uk. Bookings will be on a first come first served basis and bookings will close on 2 May 2021.

Mick

• 2 months later...

Sadly, we have had to take the difficult decision to postpone this meeting once again. At a meeting of the European Coordinators on Sunday there were still significant concerns and risks expressed by some clubs whilst others were more optimistic. We have decided that the Swedish Meeting organised for 2022 will proceed as planned and the UK Meeting will be held in September 2023. The Switzerland meeting will be delayed to 2024, followed by Belgium and then TR IG Sudwest in Germany. 

I will post details of the new meeting as soon as possible.

Mick

1 hour ago, Mick Forey said:

Sadly, we have had to take the difficult decision to postpone this meeting once again. At a meeting of the European Coordinators on Sunday there were still significant concerns and risks expressed by some clubs whilst others were more optimistic. We have decided that the Swedish Meeting organised for 2022 will proceed as planned and the UK Meeting will be held in September 2023. The Switzerland meeting will be delayed to 2024, followed by Belgium and then TR IG Sudwest in Germany. 

I will post details of the new meeting as soon as possible.

Mick

Sad news, but it’s  not surprising in view of what’s happening in Europe, wise choice. 
On a selfish note I might even be able to attend in 2023. You could always sought something for us UK members Mick, now you have nothing else to do. :ph34r::)

Derek

• 11 months later...

Buyer beware. The European Breakdown Directory is at least 15 years out of date. One entrant left the country over 15 years ago. When does somebody start to update it?

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/article/2022/04/0293/TR-Register-launches-mobile-app-to-assist-with-breakdowns-or-repairs-across-Europe

Can't work out how to put the promo code in yet, Wayne is on the case.

Some of the links to garage websites worked fine in the previous version but for an unknown reason have now stopped working. We have a few teething problems, despite all the testing, so please bear with us.

Mick 

Edited by Mick Forey

We have discovered a big issue with how Apple uses discount codes, Android less so. What works on a small scale for testing does not work on a larger scale when you roll out the app. Therefore, we are currently re-evaluating the charging mechanism. Please wait until we have sorted this out with Apple and Google. They are not the easiest of companies to deal with.

Mick

Of course it could be published in the normal booklet format and given to new members as part of a welcome pack (along with a version of technicalities) to add value to membership.........along with a downloadable file on the members section of the main website without resorting to apps
Ian

• John Morrison changed the title to European Breakdown Directory - Mobile APP