Fuel sender float and ethanol

Having purchased 'stay up' floats for the Strombergs on my 4A (SU's have similar stay up options), I have now been wondering about the float for the fuel sender. Are these ethanol resistant or are there ethanol resistant ones available? I guess the worst that could happen would be that if holed they would sink or maybe form a gelatinous lump of goo in the bottom of the fuel tank.

Since the USA and European continent have had E10 for a while, have they any experience of issues?

Second question is what size (i.d. and thickness) is the rubber anti rattle O ring that fits on the float. Mine has swollen and fallen off with E5 and I need to order a Viton one. I have fished out the old one from the tank but can't use that as a measurement. If anyone has the o.d. of the groove on the float where the ring fits that would help.

Keith

Edited by keith1948
extra question

Keith,

Not sure about the TR4A, but the TR3 fuel sender float was metal. (Originally that is. I’ve seen eBay adverts for TR3 sender floats that are plastic, yet claim to be “OE”).

Maybe the TR4A is the same, in which case, as long as it has never been changed, you will have no problem.

However…

Even if it has been changed I think that the non-metal floats are made of something like polythene. Definitely some sort of hard(ish)  plastic. Which is almost certainly fine with ethanol.

Other people might know differently.

Charlie.

Hi Charlie

Took sender unit out this weekend and discovered it is metal. So now not worried about ethanol on that component. I had to cut a semi circle out of the flange that the boot seal fits to in order to get the sender unit out. This will be covered by the boot back panel but will make removal in future a bit easier. Alternative was to move the whole tank.

Keith

17 hours ago, keith1948 said:

Hi Charlie

Took sender unit out this weekend and discovered it is metal. So now not worried about ethanol on that component. I had to cut a semi circle out of the flange that the boot seal fits to in order to get the sender unit out. This will be covered by the boot back panel but will make removal in future a bit easier. Alternative was to move the whole tank.

Keith

Not that I am saying it will fall apart, but does Ethanol not attack solder?.  Seem to remember reading somewhere about soldered brass floats in carburettors being at risk long term .

Ralph

Ralph

Mine seems to be aluminium with a crimped double seam so neither brass nor soldered. Anyway I have left it as it seems to be ok. I think maybe any component with dissimilar metal parts might be more susceptible to corrosion in presence of water from the ethanol. Personally I would have thought this would take some time except maybe for some of the softer alloys. Time will tell I guess

Keith