TR4 steering adjustment

I recently acquired a 1964 TR4. Being quite tall I thought I'd see if there was any more adjustment in the steering column. I remember doing this on my Spitfire many years ago and it being relatively simple. The setup in the workshop manual looked much the same.

So, I loosened the steering column clamps under the dash (2 pairs) and the impact clamp Allen screw. 

No lateral movement was possible in either direction ! The outer steering column would twist a little so that's free. Loosening the impact clamp right off showed that the upper inner column could move relative to the lower column column, rotationally when the clamp was right off. So not seized there either.

It does look like there is more "flat" on the inner column above the impact clamp. There is definitely plenty below it. So why no lateral movement ? Am I missing something obvious ?

Hi Chris, and welcome.

Clamps to the steering column outer are just behind the dashboard, and again at the bulkhead.  Then again as you've also found, there's the clamp on the steering column inner, over the flat section. That is all  ...However, the cable trough (under the steering column) can snag in the upper clamp ..as it's bulging with wires ('tis on my 4A anyway).  Otherwise those wires can be tied up under the dashboard, which will prevent the switches, and therefore the column, from pulling backwards. That cable trough also tends to have a long screw through it, clamping above the steering column, and that may well be snagged on the loom.   There might also be the possibility that an earth wire has been added to the inner column (by the clamp / sliding flat) which is preventing it all from pulling back. 

Hope that helps,

Pete

Edited by Bfg

The design of the steering on the TR4 was to make it safer in the event of a crash, limiting the rearward movement of the column.

For this reason, there's very limited rearward adjustment available.

Ian Cornish

Thank you for these comments.

Snagging sounds plausible. That might explain how the column is free to twist a little but not move forward or backward. Before I attempt any more Houdini adventures under the dash has anyone got a column in pieces where they could measure the length of the flat section for me ? That would presumably dictate the adjustment theoretically possible.

I don't have a steering column in pieces, but by chance I've loosened my steering so as to remove wires and the column switches. I'd say the full range of adjustment is about 2-1/2".

Pete.