Source of supply/fit TR3a Recon gearbox please.

Would appreciate workshop recommendation for supply/fit TR3A gearbox. (O/D car). 
Present box perfect apart from falling  silently out of 3rd gear, usually immediately after change up. .  It is a recon box supplied by TRBitz 20,000 miles and 20 years ago. From past experience I think this highly likely due to overall gear wear rather than the selector itself - but of course would be glad to receive opinion. 

I am based Eastbourne and new to this car. . Would prefer to drive car to workshop and have fitted, rather than order and parcel-up exchange. 
Car overdrive functions perfectly.

many thanks in advance for any suggestions. 

Mark 

The nearest classic car garage to you is probably: https://motorlineuk.co.uk/classic-cars/. I have never used them as they a a long way from me. However, the best company to fix a TR gearbox is probably: https://petecoxsportscars.co.uk/. Pete rebuilt my TR6 gearbox in 1983, it is still working well after 75,000 miles in 39 years! See if Motorline would do the remove/refit with Pete rebuilding in.

Mick

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/10/2022 at 2:39 PM, Markboston said:

Would appreciate workshop recommendation for supply/fit TR3A gearbox. (O/D car). 
Present box perfect apart from falling  silently out of 3rd gear, usually immediately after change up. .  It is a recon box supplied by TRBitz 20,000 miles and 20 years ago. From past experience I think this highly likely due to overall gear wear rather than the selector itself - but of course would be glad to receive opinion. 

I am based Eastbourne and new to this car. . Would prefer to drive car to workshop and have fitted, rather than order and parcel-up exchange. 

Mark 

It may well, be the syncro cone and the hub springs , it happoened to my box and was the only items i didnt change when i rebuilt the gearbox. I  replaced all of the syncros cones with the betterquality items  from Rimmer bros but the car is under going a full resto so i cant comment if the Rimmer iutems are any better .... yet

cheers

Steve

30 minutes ago, Nobbysr said:

It may well, be the syncro cone and the hub springs , it happoened to my box and was the only items i didnt change when i rebuilt the gearbox. I  replaced all of the syncros cones with the betterquality items  from Rimmer bros but the car is under going a full resto so i cant comment if the Rimmer iutems are any better .... yet

cheers

Steve

Doubt it, weve taken to reusing original 4th gear ones as theyve suffered less wear and are still better quality and fit.

Stuart.

On 5/4/2022 at 5:32 PM, stuart said:

edDoubt it, weve taken to reusing original 4th gear ones as theyve suffered less wear and are still better quality and fit.

Stuart.

I alway check them Stuart  as some of  boxes i have rebuilt are on their second or third build .  While i was apprenticed  toolmaker  i made a Taper gauge  for  a GT6 /Spitfire and TR3/4/2000  syncro cones which made life more easier to check, which i think i still have . . On my own box, which is a 4 syncro box i replaced the clutch in the o/d , all the bearings in the gearbox but left the syncros...  18 month later 3 and 4 cones needed replacing, and 2 of the 3 springs in 1 and 2 hub  had failed, i should taken my own advice, if its apart check it . So far I have found the Premium syncro cones from Rimmer to be better than most others in fit and relability.., have you tried them ???

Some of the work we carried out while is was with  BP established that gearboxes where the oil had heavily oxidized suffered micropitting on thre gear flanks and accelerated wear due to an increase in Acid Number, wth Strong Acids being formed,. All of which led to turn increased wear on the syncros, bearings and bushes. Its one of the reason why gearbox and axle oil should be changed regularly and i still see these issues in some Marine and Industrial applications today.The problems were worse with gear boxes that use engine oil   but thats another conversation.

cheers

Steve

1 hour ago, Nobbysr said:

So far I have found the Premium syncro cones from Rimmer to be better than most others in fit and relability.., have you tried them ???

Steve

No I havent as I dont buy from Rimmers.

Stuart.

The two main suppliers of new synchros are County & Bastuck. Bastuck are the "high end" ones and county are the cheaper option. We've had more trouble with the Bastuck ones failing - but we do see a lot of gearboxes so that's not necessarily a negative. 
Best option is to fit originals, failing that - buy more synchros than you need and hand test each one on the cone on the gear to get the best possible fit. QA does seem a bit iffy from all suppliers, but we have to work with what's available!

On 4/10/2022 at 2:39 PM, Markboston said:

Mark 

I recently overhauled my TR4@ box which slipped out of 3rd on the over-run. I changed all synchro rings obtained from Chris Witor, and re-shimmed the main shaft. It seems fine and the selection between gears is reduced due to the cones not having to throw so far.

I think the selector shaft was at least partly or maybe mostly to blame. You will need to use a spring balance or similar with the selector housing removed to test the release poundage of each selector shaft and adjust accordingly with small BA washers. It fixed mine. I’m also based in Eastbourne btw.

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits