Carburettor vacuum pipe

Hi all you knowledgeable people.

Hopefully a quick question.

I am rebuilding a US car with twin Stromburges . 
I have the carbs off and servicing them. On the underside of the rear  carb I have a vacuum pipe  which I don’t know what it is to connect to. As per the general advice I have removed all the extra US  emissions equipment. 
Do I just blank it off ? The vacuum advance pipe comes off the manifold.

Thanks for any advice.

Colin.

On 4/9/2022 at 12:50 PM, Colinablewhite said:

Hi all you knowledgeable people.

Hopefully a quick question.

I am rebuilding a US car with twin Stromburges . 
I have the carbs off and servicing them. On the underside of the rear  carb I have a vacuum pipe  which I don’t know what it is to connect to. As per the general advice I have removed all the extra US  emissions equipment. 
Do I just blank it off ? The vacuum advance pipe comes off the manifold.

Thanks for any advice.

Colin.

I think that's the vacuum retard pipe connection to the distributor. 

It is..and what you have called "vacuum advance" just might be the vacuum retard..

The vacuum Retard module is on the cockpit side of the distributor...the vacuum Advance module IF you have one will be on the other side of the distributor.

I have had a closer look at the distributor and the only pipe on it comes off the cockpit side, which I am fairly sure went to the manifold. So that still leaves me with the question, where do I connect the underside carb pipe to?

The distributor retard unit is connected to the underside of the rear carb. I think what you have on the manifold is the connection for the anti run on valve which is mounted under the carbon canister.

George 

Edited by harlequin

Colin 

Have you blanked off the by-pass valve and temperature compensators gismo? This will make things simpler and more reliable.

I have also put a cap on the external float chamber vent pipes to reduce the smell of fuel in the garage, the float chambers now only vent through the port into the air filter, to make this work the little leavers on the side of the carbs have to come off.

George 

15 hours ago, Colinablewhite said:

I have had a closer look at the distributor and the only pipe on it comes off the cockpit side, which I am fairly sure went to the manifold. So that still leaves me with the question, where do I connect the underside carb pipe to?

That will be the vacuum retard then.