Heater controls

How do you turn off the face level vents in the middle of the dash? There is a constant blast of cold air through them. I have tried most combinations of the heater controls and nothing appears to close them off, so possibly something not connected or failed. If I knew which lever was meant to operate it I might have a clue as to where to look for a fault. Presume it would be in the handbook but I don't have one. Gaffer tape might be the best option at the moment.

I will have to take the dash out at some stage as there is a fearsome rattle over 50mph. All that hard plastic seems to amplify and make it difficult to isolate. Possibly passenger side under the screen but above the glovebox.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

This is quite common, normally brought about because the foam covering of the flaps within the heater unit has worn off, he only real way to fix this is to disassemble the unit and replace the foams. Sadly this means taking out the dashboard - not a hard job but a fair few hours of work.

Cheers

The movement of the flaps is  also reduced when the control levers become loose over the years.  IIRC if you remove the cowling around the heater controls you may gain limited access to them without removing the whole dashboard.    Tightening up the screw in the recess in the lever stops it slopping around on its axis and restores the full movement of the rod and flap.  

The heater unit is upside down in this photo

9zalZiC.jpg

Edited by BusheyTrader
Add photo

Thanks chaps, I'll take a look.

Idea! Wonder if one could remove the vents and replace with a blanking plate and install an oil pressure guage. That would be far more useful.

Jerry