Bag press TR4A dash top

Considering buying a bag press, has anyone recovered their interior using one of these e.g Dash top, H Frame etc. I see no reason why it would work efficiently?

Thanks

Err...and for the uninitiated...what's a bag press please ? 

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

I have a friend who makes sailboards and he often praises the use of  a bag press (Why do I keep wanting to say Bag Puss?) to laminate various materials.

One thing that I don’t get though is that you are bound to get creases on the bag as it gets sucked onto the object. If you were using it for even slightly complex shapes, and gluing (Soft) leather cloth to an object surely you would get the lines showing, even though ever so slightly.

My friend says no.

Charlie

For that price plus the material and the hours of frustration trying to get it all to look right I think I would be inclined to just buy a new set of good trims from TR Shop and have done with it.

Stuart.

8 minutes ago, stuart said:

For that price plus the material and the hours of frustration trying to get it all to look right I think I would be inclined to just buy a new set of good trims from TR Shop and have done with it.

Stuart.

I have a bag press already so thought I would give it a go as vinyl isn't that expensive, should be able to do the whole car for £30, will just make up some jigs for the dash top and other items to sit on (have access to a bandsaw etc) I think it is definitely worth a try given how wexpensive trim is.

Just now, Jase said:

I have a bag press already so thought I would give it a go as vinyl isn't that expensive, should be able to do the whole car for £30, will just make up some jigs for the dash top and other items to sit on (have access to a bandsaw etc) I think it is definitely worth a try given how wexpensive trim is.

In that case good luck hope it comes out OK.

Stuart.

The original manufacturing process was vacuum forming the vinyl top skin, which had the grain already formed on it, then clamping in a form jig and filling with expanding foam.   Later processes used a thing called self skinning foam.   The mould it is formed in had the grain etched into its surface.

Peter W