Bosch electronic fuel injection.

2 hours ago, AWM said:

As regards ignition with Megasquirt, I had a good outcome using the Ford EDIS Wasted Spark system on a Rover V8 I did a few years ago, and I've now sourced a six cylinder version for my forthcoming MS V3 installation on my US Spec. (ie. Carbs) Car that I want to upgrade to fuel ignition. Can be a bit hard to source here but they are out there.

Why bother with edis when there's numerous 6cyl vag logic coils you can use

If a new build, and you were using a MS3X like mine, you can have the MS3X directly trigger LS-1 coils. These are powered and have the logic input. Then you would need to figure out how to and where to mount the 6 coils.  A Ford style coil pack would need a module between it and the MS3X, see the MS3X manual and DIY Autotune website. In my case, I had EDIS almost 20 years ago, so I had the VR mounts, the trigger wheel, and a nice coil pack mount that used the coil mount bosses on the block. Rather than reinventing stuff, I retained the EDIS module. As for sequential squirt, yes there is some improvement but not earth shattering.  Over the years, I was able to sell on my original Megajolt and then my MS2. 

14 hours ago, CK's TR6 said:

If a new build, and you were using a MS3X like mine, you can have the MS3X directly trigger LS-1 coils. These are powered and have the logic input. Then you would need to figure out how to and where to mount the 6 coils.  A Ford style coil pack would need a module between it and the MS3X, see the MS3X manual and DIY Autotune website. In my case, I had EDIS almost 20 years ago, so I had the VR mounts, the trigger wheel, and a nice coil pack mount that used the coil mount bosses on the block. Rather than reinventing stuff, I retained the EDIS module. As for sequential squirt, yes there is some improvement but not earth shattering.  Over the years, I was able to sell on my original Megajolt and then my MS2. 

I'm not sure I'm going to MS3, as I may just stay with the MS2 that worked well for me before with the EDIS Module. I also have an Accel high power spark unit to go with it, which I also had earlierwith the V8 and which worked well. I do agree there are some interesting features with MS3 but MS2 is already streets ahead of a PI installation as regards performance and economy.

Edited by AWM
No response
9 hours ago, Nick davies said:

Hi All,

Interesting reading re EFI for TR6. One question. Does the return pipe from the pressure regulator back to the tank need to be increased in diameter? The original return is quite small diameter.

Regards,

Nick Davies.

Yes, the tiny metal return pipe on the PI is too small as most of the time 99% of what is pumped to the front recirculates back to the tank. I replaced all of it with modern hose, -8 from tank to pump and with -6 hose to and from engine. Cost is minimal for the security of all new hoses. Installing it along the chassis and through diff cradle is a PITA but not too big a deal.  The JIC connectors (if you use them) are dear but on the scale of TR6 parts not silly money.

Perhaps my high pressure fuel pump pumps too much. I had two hard lines going through the T shirt area of the frame. One fuel forward, the other a aft return to the tank. Even though they were wrapped with heat shield and the exhaust pipes had heat shields, the fuel rail would get so hot , you couldn't touch it. After much consternation and noodling, I solved that problem. Coming from my high pressure fuel filter, I have stainless steel braided line (teflon core) that runs forward. First over the wheel well arch inside the body shell alongside the fuel tank. Adel clamps hold it in place. It then enters a bent steel tube sleeve that turns it down inside the B pillar. At the bottom of the B pillar is another steel sleeve that turns the line forward through the inside of the rocker. Then another sleeve turns to outside the rocker toward the outer frame rail (under the floor pan just aft of the body mount). That frame rail is sleeved and the line continues to a bulwark fitting mounted on the outside surface of the inner frame rail. Then hard line up to engine compartment.  The sleeves were put in place without disturbing the car much. I had to make a couple 1" circular holes on the inside face of the B pillar and rocker (I added Lightness! just like Colin Chapman espoused) for directing the guide wire. I had the rear plate of the rocker box cut out to provide access to and enlarge the hole at the bottom of the B pillar where it joins the rocker box. The bent sleeves had plates welded to them. On plate closed off the back of the rocker box, another closed off the inside surface of the rocker box below the floor pan, and the last welded to the backside surface of the B pillar. 

10 minutes ago, CK's TR6 said:

Perhaps my high pressure fuel pump pumps too much. I had two hard lines going through the T shirt area of the frame. One fuel forward, the other a aft return to the tank. Even though they were wrapped with heat shield and the exhaust pipes had heat shields, the fuel rail would get so hot , you couldn't touch it. After much consternation and noodling, I solved that problem. Coming from my high pressure fuel filter, I have stainless steel braided line (teflon core) that runs forward. First over the wheel well arch inside the body shell alongside the fuel tank. Adel clamps hold it in place. It then enters a bent steel tube sleeve that turns it down inside the B pillar. At the bottom of the B pillar is another steel sleeve that turns the line forward through the inside of the rocker. Then another sleeve turns to outside the rocker toward the outer frame rail (under the floor pan just aft of the body mount). That frame rail is sleeved and the line continues to a bulwark fitting mounted on the outside surface of the inner frame rail. Then hard line up to engine compartment.  The sleeves were put in place without disturbing the car much. I had to make a couple 1" circular holes on the inside face of the B pillar and rocker (I added Lightness! just like Colin Chapman espoused) for directing the guide wire. I had the rear plate of the rocker box cut out to provide access to and enlarge the hole at the bottom of the B pillar where it joins the rocker box. The bent sleeves had plates welded to them. On plate closed off the back of the rocker box, another closed off the inside surface of the rocker box below the floor pan, and the last welded to the backside surface of the B pillar. 

Fuel pressure regulator at the back of the car? Struggling to picture how that works for an EFI system. Certainly not how it is on any car I ever saw.

Usual would be one end of the fuel rail fed by pump, other end of the rail to the regulator then a pipe from the other port of the regulator back down the length of the car to the tank. That way there is a continual flow through the rail. That’s how mine is and the rail is ice cold. If you don’t have that flow the fuel can be sat baking in the rail for ages before it gets injected. Or maybe I misunderstood your description?

Regulator by engine, it was the constant recirculation of fuel through the T shirt area. The fuel picked up heat from the exhaust going forward and going aft. I live in a warm climate and that T shirt area gets plain hot from the exhaust. I don’t drive short hops, nor do I drive slow. Probably the most extreme case is booking along at 85 plus across the desert in 117 degree heat for 3 hours or more. 

On 4/14/2022 at 11:33 PM, CK's TR6 said:

Regulator by engine, it was the constant recirculation of fuel through the T shirt area. The fuel picked up heat from the exhaust going forward and going aft. I live in a warm climate and that T shirt area gets plain hot from the exhaust. I don’t drive short hops, nor do I drive slow. Probably the most extreme case is booking along at 85 plus across the desert in 117 degree heat for 3 hours or more. 

Understood, that is a very different situation to mine in the East of England.

On 4/14/2022 at 11:33 PM, CK's TR6 said:

... fuel through the T shirt area ...

Sorry, I've just got to ask ... the "T shirt area"??? What's that please?

TIA, Richard

1 hour ago, Spit_2.5PI said:

Sorry, I've just got to ask ... the "T shirt area"??? What's that please?

TIA, Richard

Centre section of the chassis, item 34/35 here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/body-chassis/chassis-subframes/chassis-frame-tr5-6-1967-76.html

Stuart.