Grille Badges - show and tell

On 4/2/2022 at 7:27 PM, Bfg said:

^

P1410655s.JPG.ddc7f0b791191e8c02365009af24f96c.JPG

I've been asked about the unusual AA (Automobile Association) badge on the front of Katie.  As seen above, it's less familiar because it's been painted yellow to sort-of match the later type fitted to the near-side of the grille ..whereas originally it wouldn't have been painted at all, but instead has a basket-weave background pattern to the insignia.  It would have looked very much like this . . .

673887275_AAbadge.thumb.jpg.f68e7ae33b69973203439c07ee64602e.jpg

^ this is an AA badge issued for commercial vehicles between 1930 and 1967 (the latter being the year when Katie was first registered). 

The painted yellow badge was already fitted onto Katie's  grille when I bought her and was, I presume, fitted by Bob Bell (the prior owner) who otherwise painted the car bright red (it was conifer green from the factory). Perhaps Bob thought Katie  then looked like a fire-engine and so fitted the commercial's badge ? ;)

I guess for many of us, grille badges are part of pleasant nostalgia from our youth.  My earliest recollection of touring Europe was with my parents, driving a sage green Cortina that stank awfully of its plastic seats in the sun, together with my grandparents driving a red n' white Austin A55 Mk2 around ..in or about 1967 or 8.  As a ten - eleven year old schoolboy I played shooting rain clouds with a white tube (possibly from my Lego kit).. and of course spotting English cars across France.  An AA or RAC badge was a sure-fire clue to watch for. 

I do have a grille badge from the 1966 East African Safari that my dad competed in, in a Hino,  which I'd like to dig out of storage and add to Katie's grille ..in fond memory.

I'm sure there are some wonderful grille badges on your cars too, please do show and tell. 

Pete

Edited by Bfg

These are mine.

repo aa badge with the yellow backing removed.

the other 2 are originals from my dad. 
the Guildford motor club one I am most proud to display as dad was a founding member and persuaded his mate Mike Hawthorne to be President and my mums dad designed the badge. I am a member and since his death they have started an annual memorial tour in dads name which is nice. This was the first 

https://guildfordmotorclub.org.uk/?page_id=70

And my car is in the banner pic too :D

the BARC is also an original enamelled badge that was dads from his early days of racing so circa 1957/8

067A3495-FB22-424C-A176-287B2727A536.jpeg

dads obituary 
https://guildfordmotorclub.org.uk/?page_id=74

Edited by Hamish

...a 1962 badge awaiting a bit of tlc.

Tim

20220404_110147_resized.thumb.jpg.885fd22459d05c36efe9f421780e6121.jpg

41 minutes ago, G Denson said:

As I was born in Malaya and did not return to the UK when I was 11 the AA badge is dear to my roots. 
As one of the founders of the Wessex Group likewise 

Gordon Denson87430258-F2A2-4D53-9034-7DA75677CADA.thumb.jpeg.d741eb29e51f056f2ba6ed927f6b87c7.jpeg4A2503B8-D9D6-4531-BD5D-C725F1EA5291.thumb.jpeg.b7bf8a3825a82f710359083e41d89c78.jpeg

I have one of the AA Malaya badges somewhere too as my Dad was a member when he was out there, I just missed being born out there by a year.

Stuart.

No picture to offer, but I'd really like to get my hands on a badge that i had back in 1965,  In 62, I joined the RAF as a Locking apprentice and bought a 102nd Entry badge. However in 66 after a drive from Kent to near Stamford, I found that the enamel part of the badge had dropped off.  Never seen another since and would really like another, but I doubt many still exist, given that probably no more than a dozen or so were ever produced.

Still, I live in hope.  The entry motto was 'Perseverance leads to success'!