Gentlemen,

After the demise of the Kenlowe fan controller I decided to fit the stainless steel water return pipe with a welded on boss for a Thermo switch. I installed the new water return pipe with the thermo switch installed in it using new silicone hoses and the electrical wires installed.

Now it is installed the boss/ thermo switch sit very close to the rack mount which means that it will be impossible in the future to remove the wires or change the switch without removing pipe and hoses from the car.

My question is was the boss on my return pipe welded in the “ normal” position or was I supplied with a poorly made part.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

I think there may be two different downpipes to cater for the two different positions of the bottom radiator outlet - one is tight in the RH corner, the other is about 3 inches further in.

Cheers Rich

Andrew,

I fitted it with the short end( after the bend) at the bottom, was this wrong?

Graham

I went to the garage and had a look at my TR4.

The return from the bottom of the radiator is on the left of the radiator, looking towards the front of the car.  The return passes through a hose with a bend (less than 90 degrees), then rises into the metal pipe, which has a bend at its bottom end.

This places the boss for the thermostat facing towards the centre of the car, between the cross tube (connecting the suspension turrets) and the timing cover on the front of the engine.   In this position, the terminals on the thermostat are accessible.

Hope this helps.

Ian Cornish

I'm not sure the exact location of the boss is considered to be critical by the manufacurers and I have seen them quite a few degrees different on some pipes. Poor quality control!

The pictures Marcel has uploaded are where it should go. There is a bit of wiggle room depending how far the flexible hoses are pushed on and oriented before the jubilee clips are tightened.