LED indicators flasher unit problem

I've just fitted LED lamps to the rear indicators and side repeaters (haven't got the front indicators fitted at the moment as awaiting parts).

With the four bulbs fitted and old flasher unit, the bulbs come on but do not flash - probably to be expected?

When I fit the new flasher unit (all from Classic Car LEDs) the lamps don't come on at all. The new flasher unit fits exactly into the old socket. The only difference is that the new one has an earth lead, which I simply fitted behind the old socket -  using the securing screw.

Does this all sound right, and should I try testing the flasher unit somehow?

Could it be because I don't yet have the load of the two front lamps?

Thanks,

Ali.

An electronic flasher unit should switch even without the front bulbs fitted. Are you sure the earth lead is making a good connection?

If that is OK you need to check that the live supply (green wire) is going  to the terminal marked X (or 49) on the flasher unit. and that the green/brown wire goes to the terminal marked L (or 49a).

+1  Never had a problem with these - As Rob says check the connections on the unit, check the earth is solid.

Are you sure you have the right version of the flasher unit (-ve earth or +ve earth).

These are the instructions I send out when ever I supply these units:

Flasher unit.
 To fit the new flasher unit, unplug wires from original,
 plug the green wire (from fuse box) onto the "X" pin,
 plug the green / brown wire (to the control head) onto the "L" pin,
 & plug the light green wire (to the pilot light) onto the "P" pin.
 connect the black wire from the new unit to chassis.
 You may have to make a small bracket to mount the holding strap to
 (not sure why they don't provide this - I may have included one in the package !)

Bob

• 1 month later...