Battery Booster Charger - Any recommendations?

Thinking this could now be potentially beneficial across the ‘moderns’ daily drivers (that don’t get driven daily since Covid19) and the ‘oldies’ that generally sit in hibernation until around now. Just however, clicked online and from first glance they appear to range from from £40+ up into the hundreds; would a cheap one do the job, if so which one?

All feedback welcome and appreciated

Thanks

Tony

8 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Thinking this could now be potentially beneficial across the ‘moderns’ daily drivers (that don’t get driven daily since Covid19) and the ‘oldies’ that generally sit in hibernation until around now. Just however, clicked online and from first glance they appear to range from from £40+ up into the hundreds; would a cheap one do the job, if so which one?

All feedback welcome and appreciated

Thanks

Tony

A search will tell you all Ctec is the best 

Hi 

As above Ctec is one of the better ones however I bought a cheap (middle of the aisle ) one last year and it performs as should charges the 4a and a neighbour's  17plate golf when needed the only thing to be careful of if the voltage is too low these digital chargers wont work 

Chris 

The cheap ones from Lidl work OK but are only available now and then.  I have two which I use on the TR and M type.

As with all things electronic, more 'features'  means higher price but some of the complications are not really necessary - particularly for a basic classic battery.  

A modern AGM car battery for stop-start needs a slightly higher charge voltage but the conditioner should sense that and adjust accordingly. Some more basic chargers may need you to select the battery type though. 

Edited by RobH
33 minutes ago, RobH said:

The cheap ones from Lidl work OK but are only available now and then.  I have two which I use on the TR and M type.

As with all things electronic, more 'features'  means higher price but some of the complications are not really necessary - particularly for a basic classic battery.  

A modern AGM car battery for stop-start needs a slightly higher charge voltage but the conditioner should sense that and adjust accordingly. Some more basic chargers may need you to select the battery type though. 

Just the opposite AGM requires lower charge and shorter 

Having had two failures with Ctec chargers and several batteries go dud with other trickle chargers, I invested in a Battery Fighter Charger (http://www.batteryfighter.com.au/pages/battery_fighter_a_series.html ) quite a few years ago and have never looked back - they are not cheap, but nor is a ruined battery. They are much more sophisticated than a conventional trickle charger.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer

Cheers Rich

52 minutes ago, ntc said:

Just the opposite AGM requires lower charge and shorter 

agm.jpg.2f7763ca1ce4839a13b75f48bf9f7add.jpg

Float charge on a classic lead-acid battery is about 13.6v at 20deg C

Edited by RobH

This is bad topic drift really so apologies to the OP,  but this seems to describe things well:

https://workshoppist.com/agm-battery-charging-stages/

The three relevant quotes are

"Finding reliable information took quite some effort, so I decided to collect it here to my blog. To filter out the unreliable floating around, I chose to base these articles on AGM battery manufacturer data – they at least should have it right."

"Typical absorption voltage for an 12-Volt AGM battery is 14.5…14.8V, which is slightly higher than for a standard flooded lead-acid battery. The optimal absorption voltage depends on battery brand and temperature"

'The proper float voltage for an 12-Volt AGM battery is around 13.5 to 13.8 V, which is slightly higher than for a regular flooded lead-acid battery. The optimal float voltage depends on battery model and temperature"

The main point is that AGM batteries are much more sensitive to over-charge than are flooded batteries so the charging regime has to be very exact, so a conditioner which has a specific AGM mode is essential - which is really what I was alluding to. 

Edited by RobH
typo

I have several of the Lidl chargers, the latest ones are red, & charge at 5 amps max, older grey ones only go up to 3A. They are excellent value for money, &, like the Ctek ones, you can leave them connected indefinately, as they automaticaly monitor the battery voltage, & adjust charge rate accordingly.

Bob

1 hour ago, Lebro said:

I have several of the Lidl chargers, the latest ones are red, & charge at 5 amps max, older grey ones only go up to 3A. They are excellent value for money, &, like the Ctek ones, you can leave them connected indefinately, as they automaticaly monitor the battery voltage, & adjust charge rate accordingly.

Bob

+1

Thanks Guys,

I should have been clearer however, I’ve got a few trickle type chargers that I leave on with generally good results (the old Jag has started to chew batteries if I leave it connected and not used)but I’m now thinking about an instant starter; is ‘power pack’ the right word rather than booster?

I use Optimate’s for 20 years and never had any issue.  I have 3 of them, one Canbus compatible and 2 classic ones. My bikes are connected 24/7.

i do agree that Ctek is very often highly recommended.

cheers, 

Lo

Edited by Lo100469

I have a Clarke JSM350 from Machine Mart - very happy with it, worth looking out for their offers to save a few pounds.

……. Andy

Had 5 cars and 2 quads on these trickle chargers 24/7 for several winters while in storage. All come out every year fully charged and ready for the road. Some are dry cell, some lead acid and one is a posh Optima red top type.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smart-Intelligent-Car-Battery-Charger-Automatic-Pulse-Repair-Jump-Starter12V-UK-/125138263908?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

You can pay a lot more for a brand but these are cheap and cheerful and I’ve found them to do the job perfectly for years without failures. Ignore the bad Chinese translation, they are not jump starters.

Edited by FatJon
spelling
On 4/3/2022 at 8:28 AM, Tony_C said:

I’m now thinking about an instant starter; is ‘power pack’ the right word rather than booster?

Battery-less super capacitor jump starter packs. Wouldn't be without one.

I've had the Sealey Electrostart 800 for a number of years. Not cheap, but works like a charm.

SeaEle1.thumb.jpg.02d73a26a189edde2b44e2fafa229f66.jpg

Doesn't need pre-charging.  Just connect to the "dead" battery, wait a minute, fire up the engine.

Several different makes on the market. Here's one from Rescue Mate.

Cheers, Deggers