I think the Balchowsky cars were more heavily modified and this one is right hand drive. It looks like the sill is deeper than standard and the door shorter. I wonder what is under the bonnet?

Cheers Richard

Good point on the RHD - I think all of Balchowski’s cars were the early US imports.  I found a contemporary article (in “Speed Age”) about the exact cuts and mods Max used to drop in the Buick nailhead engine.  When I start going batty I may give it a go if I can find a nailhead.  They are a pretty machine.

Dan

I think Balchowski's first car originally belonged to Dorothy Dean and was the second prototype and the first Doretti in the USA. It was the least modified of his cars and probably scrapped, Tom Householder may know more. I put a Daimler V8 into a Doretti which fitted without any modification (it was much tighter in my TR2) and it made a great car. I would take it through the Clyde Tunnel just to listen to the exhaust, it is now in Norway.

Cheers

Richard

Great story Richard!  I have always wanted to hear from someone who pulled off the transplant and had a go of it.  Any pics?  And I have to correct myself as the publication was “Rodding and Restyling”, not “speed age”.

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan

I have pictures from a photo shoot when the car appeared in the Triumph World magazine unfortunately most of them are too big to post here including pictures of the engine. Like the Balchowsky cars I used a Morris Minor steering rack.

Cheers 

Richard

IMG_0149 copy.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 4/2/2022 at 10:29 PM, Dic Doretti said:

Hi Dan

I have pictures from a photo shoot when the car appeared in the Triumph World magazine unfortunately most of them are too big to post here including pictures of the engine. Like the Balchowsky cars I used a Morris Minor steering rack.

Cheers 

Richard

IMG_0149 copy.JPG

For Morris Minor steering rack also read Sprite Mk1/2/3.   A LHD Sprite rack is a RHD Morris Minor rack.   To do with being in front or behind the axle line 

Peter W