Hoping that some can help me with this one 

I am completing the chassis  pipe  works,  but have hit a  slight  problem . The O.S rear chassis section where the brake pipe poasses . I have been told that the brake pipe passes  through the larger hole with a grommet   but  that hoie is used for replacing the front  eye bolt for the leaf spring soi it doesnt seem logical that the larger hoie would be used for the routing the brake piupe although routing the brake pipe through a hole where it could frett against the edge of the chassis 

would be grateful if any one  can confirm reality  thoughts please 

all the best 

steve

IMG_7140.JPG

IMG_7141.JPG

many thanks Stuart The small hole makes absolute sense,  presumably the chassis clips hold the pipe sufficiently enough  to prevent the pipe rubbing  on the edge of the hole

all the best 

Steve 

1 hour ago, Nobbysr said:

many thanks Stuart The small hole makes absolute sense,  presumably the chassis clips hold the pipe sufficiently enough  to prevent the pipe rubbing  on the edge of the hole

all the best 

Steve 

It has a grommet in the hole if you look closely and if you bend the pipe correctly then it sits in the middle of the grommet.

Stuart.

On 3/28/2022 at 10:31 PM, Graham Harris said:

Front and back without the body

GrahamP1010119.thumb.JPG.10b54bdd5db788fad92f9b2bd8f8a5dd.JPGP1010123.thumb.JPG.566bd8cf8a2649fea442714bf048acc5.JPG

Those bump stop rubbers need to be better located, or the straps bent, to ensure the rubber hits the rebound straps. If the bump stop doesn't stop the axle the shock absorber can move beyond its range and break internally.

I had both disintegrate internally on a high speed bump a few years ago. It was very touch and go for a few seconds.

30 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

Those bump stop rubbers need to be better located, or the straps bent, to ensure the rubber hits the rebound straps. If the bump stop doesn't stop the axle the shock absorber can move beyond its range and break internally.

I had both disintegrate internally on a high speed bump a few years ago. It was very touch and go for a few seconds.

Yes its not intuitive that the straps need to be bent slightly inwards so they do their job.

Stuart.

On 3/28/2022 at 12:31 PM, Graham Harris said:

Front and back without the body

GrahamP1010119.thumb.JPG.10b54bdd5db788fad92f9b2bd8f8a5dd.JPGP1010123.thumb.JPG.566bd8cf8a2649fea442714bf048acc5.JPG

hi  Graham looks like you have used the larger of the two holes which may cause proiblems if you to change the the sping or the eye bolt 

On 3/28/2022 at 5:04 PM, stuart said:

It has a grommet in the hole if you look closely and if you bend the pipe correctly then it sits in the middle of the grommet.

Stuart.

Ok Stuart   I did try and use the larger hole as an experiment and the Brake pipe does  interfere with the spring front eye bolt  and  would need to be bent significantly to clear the bolt 

Probably my eye sight   Bob   i do need new glassesB)  either way Im happier  that the smaller hole is the better option . I did an internet trawl and did find a few photos where owner had used the larger hole with a large grommet 

all the best

steve

Edited by Nobbysr

I you look closely at my picture you will see mine is routed through the small hole with a grommet to protect it, its nowhere near the spring eye bolt. (TBH 9 out of 10 of those pins wont come out without a serious struggle anyway!)

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart really appreciate your help 

Wasn't joking about the glasses, old age I'm afraid, but the last shots a good un's .. plus i have a new prescription which has made a real  difference . As i think i mentioned there were a few photos on the interweb  where owners had used the large hole with grommet, so there are some future surprises in store. 

I made the mistake of buying a really good second hand chassis with the pins still in place which should have raised suspicions . One came out really easily but the other beat induction heating, direct heat and drilling,  so i ended up replacing the complete tube... I wont make that mistake again.

It came from a well known second hand Tr parts dealer.  it was powder coated but in  centre box section there was about 4kgs of sand and oil packed in,  so i was less than impressed,  but replacing the the eye bolt tube meant that i had to  repaint that section  so redoing the  powder coating properly  was the only realistic  option.

cheers

Steve