Rear inner wings

Hi All

I have a pair of rear inner wings for the 4a as mine has the usual rear wing mounting folded edge rot in places, initially I was going to repair just the top edge however can the whole inner wing be replaced leaving the rear deck in place ?

Chris    

22 minutes ago, Malbaby said:

IMHO....Replacing the complete rear inner wing would entail an enormous amount of work compared with cutting out the rusted sections and replacing with new metal.

100% agree with this - much much easier to splice in a repair section all the way along the top.

Cheers Rich

1 hour ago, rcreweread said:

100% agree with this - much much easier to splice in a repair section all the way along the top.

Cheers Rich

+2 It spretty straitforward if you do it in sections.

John.

Far easier to remove the rear deck and then replace the top return on the inner wing, a lot easier than replacing the inner wing as FWIW they dont fit and take a considerable amount of work to get to fit including having to cut the panel in several places and insert fillets to to adjust it correctly.

FWIW B&Q do a perfect piece of angle that replicates the top of the inner wing pretty accurately. See pictures.

Stuart.

Marks TR5 283.jpg

Marks TR5 284.jpg

Marks TR5 297.jpg

Marks TR5 298.jpg

Marks TR5 299.jpg

Marks TR5 300.jpg

Marks TR5 301.jpg

Marks TR5 305.jpg

Marks TR5 306.jpg

Edited by stuart

Hi 

Thanks to all replies and Stuart for the excellent photos seems a plan to just tackle the areas I need to I will get some angle as per Staurts advice and use the new inner wings as a template so now will have new left and right inner wings to sell

Chris  

11 minutes ago, trchris said:

Hi 

Thanks to all replies and Stuart for the excellent photos seems a plan to just tackle the areas I need to I will get some angle as per Staurts advice and use the new inner wings as a template so now will have new left and right inner wings to sell

Chris  

You will probably need forward deck extensions as well as the rot usually goes all the way.

Stuart.

Stuart

This is the annoying thing the previous owner had rear deck/forward and rear sections replaced around 25 years ago and they are all rust free beautifully painted and fitted.  I cannot understand why the inner wings were not repaired at the same time makes no sense to me how some people work

Chris   

2 hours ago, trchris said:

Stuart

This is the annoying thing the previous owner had rear deck/forward and rear sections replaced around 25 years ago and they are all rust free beautifully painted and fitted.  I cannot understand why the inner wings were not repaired at the same time makes no sense to me how some people work

Chris   

Welcome to my world! I would carefully unpick the way they have welded the deck and deck extensions and remove them as one piece.

Stuart.