Speedometer needle bouncing on 1972 model

Good afternoon Nige

It would be worth checking the 'speedo repair' thread in the General TR Technical section on this forum.

For what it's worth my Dec 72 car also suffered that problem a while ago, degenerating to the point where at the end of a journey, the needle would come to rest in the fully clockwise position, stopped from going further only by the stop peg on the dial.  Sorted out very rapidly by John Ostick, once I had overcome angle drive concerns and difficulty in ensuring good simultaneous engagement of the cable inner drive to both the speedo and the angle drive.  My speedo problem was apparently that lubricant had found its way into the instrument so all that was needed was a good clean up.

On 3/27/2022 at 3:49 PM, nigelcurry said:

Hi all

my Speedo needle bounces (sometimes wildly)any thoughts on rectifying please any one

regards nige

I would check the condition of the speedo cable jacket, underneath the car. It can come un-clipped and the PVC Jacket can touch the exhaust pipe and be burned off plus the lube and lets in road grim. This is what happened to me and I got the needle bounce. When I replaced the drive cable I bought the longer one as recommended as it is easier to route.

Bruce.