Electric cars

I guess some form of road usage charges based on even more ANPR cameras or trackers uploading data. That way they can still make the charge vary by vehicle category e.g. classify private cars by weight as that relates to affordability and road damage. Council tax for cars. Exemptions can be made for historic, police and ambulance etc. It could also mean that people in remote, rural areas could also get an exemption or lower cost as you can change different rates for different roads. All doable with existing technology.

Mick

Edited by Mick Forey

Not going to loose sleep over it given the rate of infa-struture building to support the move to electric, like the electric in the first place to recharge the things. The way electric prices are rising they might not be as cheap or green as some would have you believe. Reality check needed.

But yes I've no doubt the little devils are dreaming up some more tax grabbing polices to rape the masses as we sleep.

Andy

On 3/27/2022 at 8:16 PM, barkerwilliams said:

....and if your charging per mile then historic cars wil pay as well.

Alan

Actually I rather suspect it won't. The classic car lobby appears to me to be surprisingly powerful in parliament, having lobbied successfully for (eg) the abolition of road tax for historics. But in any case the average annual mileage by a classic car in UK is only about 1,200 miles so a per-mile charge wouldn't hurt too badly, no?

Nigel

On 3/28/2022 at 8:51 PM, Bleednipple said:

Actually I rather suspect it won't. The classic car lobby appears to me to be surprisingly powerful in parliament, having lobbied successfully for (eg) the abolition of road tax for historics. But in any case the average annual mileage by a classic car in UK is only about 1,200 miles so a per-mile charge wouldn't hurt too badly, no?

Nigel

Hi Nigel

As one of the most taxed countries in the world with the highest tax burden since the the 1950s and a collapse in living standards for millions of people in the UK across the earning spectrum I think any tax increases are frankly taking the Micky full stop. Just one more thing that will prevent people considering having a classic in the first place.

As it is actually working legitimately for a living is becoming harder to justify for some given you get to keep so little of it.

Andy