Waxoil a TR4 chassis

Hi Forumits

I was given a TR4 Chassis in OK condition so I decided that it would be a good project to soak up some of the large quantity of parts/spares that I have in my garage with the aim of building up a car (another car!)

Chassis was shot blasted and primered. Measuring it showed passenger side front suspension misalignment so I trailered it to TRGB who put it on their jig and operate on it both pulling it straight  and surgery to some of the rust. They also gave me a photo record of what they had done which was good. I was pleased with their work .

Chassis come home to do a little welding to beef up the steering rack pods the front and then the rear shock absorber frames

Painted exterior of the chassis with chassis paint see photos

Now I want to waxoil the inside of the chassis. I have a spray attachment with an arm to go into cavities and waxoil tins to fit the attacment

Previously when I did a 4A chassis there were lots of holes to poke the sprayer arm in but not on the 4 chassis

Has anyone got a schedule of where to drill some holes to cover the interior of most /all of the chassis

As usual I would like to tap into the wealth of TR experience  out there - all ideas/comments welcome

Thank you in advance

Regards

MichaelH

IMG_6924.jpg

IMG_6925.jpg

You could consider Lanoguard rather than Waxoyl - have a look at website and videos.

Some members have used Lanoguard - try a search.

Ian Cornish

Hi Michael,

It was a while ago that I did my TR4 chassis, but I seem to recall being able to block off most of the existing holes with duct tape, then simply pour warmed wax oil into one end and then doing lots of tilting and turning of the chassis.  Fairly easy when a bare chassis and a warm day, but can be a bit messy when you release the tapes and drain the excess!

I never got on with the hose/tube method.

Mark

Hi Mike

Ive just used a spray in ‘waxoyl’ type treatment on 5VC’s chassis and it’s gone very well I think. Sold by Techniq in 500ml aerosol cans which come with a long hose on the nozzle, so you can poke it in the apertures in the chassis and get good coverage. I think 6 cans were £60 or so and enough to do one chassis properly.

You do need to blank up the holes with tape to stop it spraying out but if you start at one end and work to the other it’s easy enough to control the spray out and overall not much mess on the floor and in the air.

Most of these treatments can be wiped off / cleaned up with white spirit so you can remove the excess and dribbly bits when they have solidified. I’m about halfway there and also easy enough. 

Im trying to keep the bottom shiny for now, but if that’s not important then Lanoguard is better and goes further but attracts lots of griff and needs to be reapplied regularly, better than traditional wax but also has a reapply life. Having just taken BST82B apart, I wish I’d used Lanoguard underneath and applied more regularly!

regards

Tony 

What does the paint shop say about the use of Waxoyl on cars that are to go in their oven?

Mine was rude with a capital F

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Thanks for you comments guys:

I am working up courage to drill some intermittent holes in the inside of the main box sections and spray up and down then seal off with gromits

best wishes

Michael H

PS the guy who has painted my cars before doesn't have an oven, at least not for painting cars.

57 minutes ago, MichaelH said:

Thanks for you comments guys:

I am working up courage to drill some intermittent holes in the inside of the main box sections and spray up and down then seal off with gromits

best wishes

Michael H

PS the guy who has painted my cars before doesn't have an oven, at least not for painting cars.

Chassis looking good Michael, I traipse along in your wake.

Mick Richards

Hi Mick

If you want to pop along and borrow the compressor /spray unit/whats left of the waxoil (it goes a long way) when finished

give me a shout

Regards

Michael

11 hours ago, MichaelH said:

Hi Mick

If you want to pop along and borrow the compressor /spray unit/whats left of the waxoil (it goes a long way) when finished

give me a shout

Regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

You have a message.

Mick Richards

Hello Michael 

i  agree with MKTR with a bare chassis i just sprayed in as much waxoil as possible and then stand on ends and upside down so that it soaks in everywhere . Also for the first application i diluted it to assist penetration .

When all done on warm days you will find leakage from the holes.

Roy

Michael - if you are planning to drill holes in the side of the chassis rails, I'm not sure that's a good idea because if water gets past any grommets or whatever you seal the holes with, it hasn't got anywhere to go other than make a nice little pond inside the chassis rail .

I think I would be inclined to put the holes in the underneath of the chassis rail and close off with tight fitting grommet - if you suspect you might have gone through standing water and flooded the box sections, you could easily remove the grommets and let any water out.

Just a thought

Cheers Rich

I take the point about drilling the floor rather than the side

But the deed is done and hopefully the inside has got some wax oil around the place

One thought is that I am treating a 60 yer old structure so that it lasts a bit longer..... but I am 73  and how long does it have to last to be long enough?

Sobering thought !

Michael H

29 minutes ago, adriantr4 said:

Of no particular import - I got a "tractor place" to Waxoil or similar my '4 years ago. When I parked it in grass just after the work was done, it looked like an oil tanker had just run aground & ruptured ....

Adrian

Just shows they put plenty on ;)

Stuart.