Dodgy injector?

Number 2 not pulsing.  Removed it and discovered it’s not even dribbling let alone spraying. 

I clumped it, pulled it etc but to no avail  

is it a case of getting and exchange or is there something I can do?

Or maybe it’s something more involved with the metering unit perhaps 

I would blow it clear with compressed air first. Remove it from the fuel line first. After installation, it needs to be vented. Originally there is a small filter at the inlet.

Cheers,
Waldi

Hi Lee, I did not run the engine, because I was concerned for fire, so I removed the plugs and the removed the electric wire from ign. coil and cracked (2nd person), and kept the injector and pipe upwards, so air cannot be trapped. I used a nose plier with 2 pieces of crimp sleeve on (to protect the valve tip) and lifted the valve in the injector while cranking.

Waldi

Just a little tip if you do not have a airline. I use my cycle stirrup pump get a good seal and push, worked for me three or four times before I changed my tank.

56 minutes ago, Michael Mckiernan said:

Just a thought but try swapping it for one of the other injectors ,

see if the fault is actually the injector or the delivery side.

Good luck

Mick.

Indeed. Yeah I thought I’d do that following my blowout attempt if nothing changes 

An air bed adaptor with the tip cut off makes a good tool for blowing out the injectors with an airline or foot pump) seals nicely in the injector.

When bleeding it can be useful to invert the injector so the tip is pointing slightly upwards so air bubbles naturally gravitate to the tip. Tap the injector gently or intermittently gently pull it open by pulling on the nipple to let the air out. Carefully to avoid spraying fuel where it might ignite.

Cyls 2 and 5 are fed from banjo fittings on the mu which contain o rings that fail and release small rubber bits that block the injectors

1346 have different fittings on the mu and dont suffer the same issues.

So you may want to renew the o-rings to prevent a recurrence, unless the injector has actually died which of course they do

a refurbished set can be had for less than £100, so you might consider that a good investment?

steve

Am I the only one that does the injector in a jam jar and starting the car up (Fire extinguisher at the ready) method these days?..and swap the injectors around on the faulty one to see if its the injector on the metering unit?

Edited by jogger321
1 hour ago, jogger321 said:

Am I the only one that does the injector in a jam jar and starting the car up (Fire extinguisher at the ready) method these days?..and swap the injectors around on the faulty one to see if its the injector on the metering unit?

Only when all injectors and hoses are empty ie MU refurbish, put them in jars and spin engine over to refill. Otherwise just take suspect non pulsing injector out, point up, pull out tip and it always normally starts to spray.

Colin.

The jam jar is OK but ideally the injector needs to point up rather than down so that the air is expelled when you pull on th nipple. A large air bubble may just get compressed and fail to self bleed. The amout of fuel squirted by each injection is small so limited fire risk if you are careful.

If it doesn't bleed easily it's probably blocked and needs the air line trick to blow the debris out.