My 6 is nearing the end of its restoration so currently working through my snagging list. One thing that’s confusing me is the slight ignition issue I have. The guy who began the restoration before I bought it fitted a new ignition and what I’ve found is that you need to hover the key between position 1 & 2 in order to turn the car over. If you take the key to the full position 2 nothing happens, so basically you have to hit a sweet spot in order to start the car. While this feels like a great security feature, I’d love to know why that happens.

On another note regarding the ignition, the ignition crash pad won’t fit. I would guess that I will need to trim some of the foam from the back and possibly cut away some of the metal plate from the pad in order to fit, does that sound about right?

Thanks, Rick

47 minutes ago, Ricks green TR6 said:

While this feels like a great security feature, I’d love to know why that happens.

Sounds like a faulty switch to me.  I think on later cars the electrical switching bit can be separated from the key barrel - it's items 91 or 93 here:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/steering-suspension/steering/steering-column-wheels-tr5-6-1967-76.html 

probably some misalignment in that. 

Edited by RobH
17 minutes ago, RobH said:

Sounds like a faulty switch to me.  I think on later cars the electrical switching bit can be separated from the key barrel - it's items 91 or 93 here:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/steering-suspension/steering/steering-column-wheels-tr5-6-1967-76.html 

probably some misalignment in that. 

Thanks, I’ll check it out and see if something looks a miss.

Hi Rick

RobH is right the ignition switch is faulty there's a few out there that cheap repros they do come apart from the barrel assembly try and get a good quality one and the crash pad does need some trimming as the barrel is more squarer than original ones

Chris   

33 minutes ago, trchris said:

Hi Rick

RobH is right the ignition switch is faulty there's a few out there that cheap repros they do come apart from the barrel assembly try and get a good quality one and the crash pad does need some trimming as the barrel is more squarer than original ones

Chris   

Looking through the paperwork I found the ignition switch, ignore the date, the car hasn’t been on the road yet so the ignition has seen very little use.. looks like they are still available from MOSS and Rimmer.

4A550D3F-20D1-4D07-9C9B-666743FD2B8F.jpeg