Worried about head gasket

Hello all. It’s been a long time since I posted and things have been running well with my 4a. I’ve had her out a few times over the past few months, but yesterday was my first long run of the year. I checked the oil level and topped her up and noticed a very small amount of white gunge on the filler cap along with a bit of condensation. I read up that this is a tell tale sign of a failing head gasket. She does drop quite a bit of oil but I previously thought that was down to the rocker cover gasket which needs replacing. I’m pretty much resigned to the fact that she needs some work, but have a couple of questions. Firstly, is there any product out there that can solve the problem? I’ve read about head gasket sealers and wondered if anyone had any experience and whether they should be used on a 55 year old car. Secondly, does anyone have any recent experience of a mechanic/garage doing the fix and what is the ballpark cost that I am looking at?

Hope everyone is well and looking forward to a lovely spring/summer of classic motoring!

Thanks, Dan

The white gunge is more from condensation from not using it enough and or short runs, not necessarily head gasket sympton, does it use water and whats the oil on the dipstick look like? is it white/milky?

Stuart.

It has to top up the rad with about a litre of water, but that’s the first time since last summer. It is due a full coolant replacement. Oil on the dipstick looks good. I will be running it a lot more over the next few weeks so will keep an eye

Hi Dan,

as Stuarts stated short runs are a killer. They suck in moisture from the air but do not burn it off.

Give if a good long run.

Locate all your oil leaks and then work out a plan to sort them

Don;t use additives.

Roger

Hi Dan

There are no additives that exactly do what they say on the tin so to speak as Roger dont waste your money Stuarts advise is sound give it a good run then do some basic checks and eliminations this was a common thing back in the day mostly due to short runs in the cold. If your replacing the rocker cover gasket do it soon and give it a good clean then a run then check (one of the eliminations done and a cured oil leak )

Chris

K-Seal come highly recommended for some small head gaskets leaks, but you do need to make sure that its not just some cold running giving the mayonnaise. 

When I had a mini, the green Duckhams 20-50 oil was best then for the mayonnaise in the rocker cover.  Not sure if its still available now.

John

12 hours ago, John L said:

K-Seal come highly recommended for some small head gaskets leaks, but you do need to make sure that its not just some cold running giving the mayonnaise. 

When I had a mini, the green Duckhams 20-50 oil was best then for the mayonnaise in the rocker cover.  Not sure if its still available now.

John

The Duckhams brand name was sold a couple of years ago, not sure who owns it now, but it was re released a while ago and I did see some for sale, but I don`t know if it is the same formulation. I do know it is no longer green. I used to use it all the time in my rally Imp, it was the only oil that held pressure when the engine was really hot. Put GTX in once and at the first time control the oil light was on at tickover which never happened with the Duckhams.

Ralph

PS, just looked it up and still available, and it now says it is green again  

Edited by Ralph Whitaker