Hi Folks,

I have a saga based on a radio disaster.

Two years back I modified the 'H' support for the dash to take an original Radiomobile radio. It had previously been updated to take the rectangular DIN case.

After a bit of tinkering the radio was fitted and worked - but sadly not for long. It is 50+ years old.

So it sits in the 4A and looks good and I simply whistle a tune now and then.

Last month on an American TR forum one of the chaps posted about a super little modern retro radio. So onto Ebay and I bought one  - £20.

When it arrived it actually looked quite OK and the spec was very good - it has a USB and memory card input with 4 x 60W output (whatever than means)

Now for the problems - the Retro style radio uses the rectangular DIN fitting which my 4A now no longer has - bugger.

Option 2 - I'll fit it to the TR4 this has the detachable plate for a standard Radiomobile style radio  BUT !!!!! you can get a blank plate to fit in there.

So today I bought a blank plate and thought all I had to do was to pop a rectangular hole in it.

Not So - aaarrrggghhhhh     The blank plate is just wide enough to cut the hole and have apprx 3mm either side.  This is not enough for the plate to do its job.

Why are tings so difficult.

Roger

Sorry the Radiomoble has quit Roger I thought you had cured the problem in it.

Stuart.

Hello Roger

There is also option 3 - get someone to fix the original radio? I would start by checking the circuitry for dry solder joints, then swollen or duff capacitors followed by duff transistors (I am assuming it doesn't have valves). I once had an old 3 series BMW. Most of my electrical problems on that car (there were several) were from dry solder joints and hairline cracks in circuit boards.

Your story is typical of life these days where nothing quite fits properly and you spend most of your time modifying parts. The worst thing to buy, I have found, is the 'universal' fitting. This item almost fits lots of things but doesn't quite fit anything perfectly.

Good luck

See you in Wales maybe where you can demonstrate your boom box in full working order. Otherwise we can whistle a duet.

Keith

Hi Stuart/Keith

the radio was looked at by my hero Bob and he got it working. 

However  it did not last long as ALL the components are very old and probably not designed for such a long life.

I have a module that may be able to fit in and bring it back to life but there is no rush and plenty of other projects to complete first.

I think the fort one will be sorting out the boot lid with the tatty bottom edge.

Roger