Fuel injection or convert to triple Weber’s on a CR engine TR6.

David,
I feel this is mainly a matter of personal choice. I have a well running PI so no need to change now.

Waldi

If you have already got the PI system it can be fully refurbed and set up for way less than the cost of buying and setting up a triple Weber set up.

if you are buying both from scratch then it may be closer. Then you may not be far from an efi conversion.

A properly set up Lucas PI system works fine, in fact it's a joy to drive, and keeps the car original. As stated, sorting out the existing PI system will be cheaper than converting to Webers. The Webers will probably need setting up on a rolling road to give their best.

No question what I would do!

Nigel

I'm in the midst of an engine swap on my GT6 to a 2.5l motor with triple webers, I've already tried going down the refurb'd PI route on my TR, it never ran right, then went to EFI and it's great but I want the induction roar from the DCOE's. If money is a major consideration then refurb your PI, if it's smiles your after then fit whatever you feel looks & sounds best.

Hi David

The first thing to say is its your car and 100% upto you which way to go and what you want out of it.

But for me one of the things about the 6 is the fuel injection is very much its USP and makes it a bit unusual and not just one of a number of 60's / 70's mechanically conventional sports cars so for me its get the Pi working. 

I;m sure there are people who can recomend someone close to you to sort it.

Cheers   Keith

i have cars with both fitted the injection one looks and sounds the best imho. like Tom says find someone who knows how to tune it you wont regret it. clem.    

On 3/18/2022 at 8:54 AM, David Solloway said:

Which is the best option?

persevere trying to get an injection system running well or go carbs?

Webbers are not a cheap option and then there is the setting up of them which in my view has to be done on a rolling road. After that finding someone in your area that can tune them who has the range of jets and emulsion tubes. I personally do not see it as VFM anymore and one should go to EFI.

Bruce

David - unless you investigate what could be causing your problems, just ditching the PI system may not solve them so you could waste a lot of money and achieve very little.

Check out your fuel tank and system for corrosion, your electrical system for sufficient power to your pump, the fuel cut off switch, ignition system as a example of a few starting points

Cheers Rich 

Hello?   David Solloway?  Are you there?  

Yes, you are, "Visited 1 hour ago" says your profile, at 1045 this morning.    But after twelve posts in response to your plea for advice, nothing.    We would love to know what your Pi problem is!

John

I’ve realised if you post a subjective question like I have, it will cause debate and many suggestions. Whilst I appreciate the comments. This isn’t the way to diagnose my problems and get a solution that is the right one.

I have found someone with knowledge who will look at my car , diagnose and fix the issues. 

Hi Dave,
it’s all about asking the right question, and your question was answered I think and some perspective was given.
This forum has a wealth of knowledge, and experience on every matter related to our cars. Make good use of it, there are many great people on here. 

Cheers,
Waldi

Have to agree with Waldi. David your initial question has been answered in the posts above. However your answer included this quote " This isn’t the way to diagnose my problems and get a solution that is the right one"  then you haven't asked the correct question in the first place. How can we diagnose your problem when you haven't told us what it is?

Alan G

14 hours ago, cp25616 said:

Have to agree with Waldi. David your initial question has been answered in the posts above. However your answer included this quote " This isn’t the way to diagnose my problems and get a solution that is the right one"  then you haven't asked the correct question in the first place. How can we diagnose your problem when you haven't told us what it is?

Alan G

Yep.

Tuppence worth. I had PI questions on this forum more or less a year ago and found the assistance and advice tendered by a number of people, some of those above who replied to you post, fantastic. Got the PI system running with the assistance, very valuable forum.