a few years ago i had the centre console of my tr6 reupholstered in leather,i have recently noticed that the leather had become lumpy.

on removal and closer inspection i found the lumps have been caused by the aluminium oxidising.

i will have to remove the leather to tackle the corrosion.

i am looking for advice on how to treat the aluminium to prevent it oxidising in the future.

thanks.

ian ward.

Hi Ian

No expert but I'd consider sanding it back or blasting then a coat of POR15 Silver paint and then recover with a 4mm closed cell EVA foam then the leather cover.

Andy

19 minutes ago, wish i could drive it said:

a few years ago i had the centre console of my tr6 reupholstered in leather,i have recently noticed that the leather had become lumpy.

on removal and closer inspection i found the lumps have been caused by the aluminium oxidising.

i will have to remove the leather to tackle the corrosion.

i am looking for advice on how to treat the aluminium to prevent it oxidising in the future.

thanks.

ian ward.

Hi Ian

clean up the surface - grit blast/wire brush then apply Alochrom 1200 - it may be cheaper to get somebody to apply the Alochrom as you only need a small amount.

https://www.lasaero.com/parts/?search_part=Alochrom1200

Roger

Edited by RogerH
2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Ian

clean up the surface - grit blast/wire brush then apply Alochrom 1200 - it may be cheaper to get somebody to apply the Alochrom as you only need a small amount.

https://www.lasaero.com/parts/?search_part=Alochrom1200

Roger

Take it to a plater that does Anodizing and have it Anodized, which is a very common treatment for Aluminum in the Mil/Aerospace market.

Bruce.

Does it need an expensive treatment if it is going to be hidden by the leather anyway. Rub it down, use an aluminium primer and then as suggested a thin sheet of foam and then the leather

kc

I did away with the cover and just crackle painted it.. 6 years later and it looks great.. Ony issue is it gets hot in hot weather and is a bit warm for the knees if you wear shorts.

Tim

If you etch prime the aluminium and paint that will prevent it in general. If you are fixing it to mild steel that needs some measures, use plastic washers for example.