Racestorations gearbox cover

Hi, new member here.

I am looking at replacing my original gearbox cover on my 64 TR4 and I can see that the Racestorations offering with all the relevant inspection ports comes in at a hefty price compared to other ones on the market. Before I commit to buying I am interested to hear your views on this product, good or bad. Also does anyone now if the register has a discount deal with this company?

Regards,

Andy

15 minutes ago, R1ceman said:

Hi, new member here.

I am looking at replacing my original gearbox cover on my 64 TR4 and I can see that the Racestorations offering with all the relevant inspection ports comes in at a hefty price compared to other ones on the market. Before I commit to buying I am interested to hear your views on this product, good or bad. Also does anyone now if the register has a discount deal with this company?

Regards,

Andy

They are very good and "reassuringly" expensive.

Stuart.

Hi Andy 

I very recent ordered and fitted a 2 part cover from Racestorations, as other suppliers were out of stock. Although a little bit more expensive, I'm very happy with the fit.

I did need to drill my own mounting holes, but I took this is a benefit, as then they lined with my car.

Thanks

Paul

cover.jpg

I have the Restorations Item, defo well made.

My issue with it was that the split lies under the H Frame,

I re-made the split with an Ally band, so that I can remove the 'Nose' leaving the H Frame in place,

giving lots of access, the easiest possible way.

To be honest you could do this, and cut any other inspection panels you might need with any cheap solid FG Tunnel.

John.

10 minutes ago, John Morrison said:

To be honest you could do this, and cut any other inspection panels you might need with any cheap solid FG Tunnel.

John.

Unfortunately the cheapo solid FG  tunnels arent a good fit to start with and dont take kindly to being cut about.

Stuart.

Thanks for getting back to me on this, I feel more confident making a decision to buy one. Before that I need to address the floor, when I ripped up the carpet it has exposed some bits that will need welding in three places where the floor attaches to the chassis  :(IMG_20220316_115311_762.jpg

30 minutes ago, R1ceman said:

Thanks for getting back to me on this, I feel more confident making a decision to buy one. Before that I need to address the floor, when I ripped up the carpet it has exposed some bits that will need welding in three places where the floor attaches to the chassis  :(IMG_20220316_115311_762.jpg

I think I would be having a very good look at the chassis as well.

Stuart.

I fitted the Racetorations two-piece version to my 4a. It’s an accurate fit, especially where some don’t, which is the profile of the side flanges.

On mine I fitted spire nuts for the screws which attach the tail section, so that frequent removal doesn’t wear out the thread, and proper Triumph style clamps on the sides. Definitely recommended but all holes need drilling.

D5E7DCB3-4D7F-42B3-AF6C-B6C75CE73C77.jpeg

1 hour ago, stuart said:

I think I would be having a very good look at the chassis as well.

Stuart.

Thanks for the 'heads up' Stuart.

The car came with a fresh MOT when I bought it so I'm hoping that the chassis is in decent order, I will ask them to check it over when I have the floor welded. My first job is to try and loosen the floor bolts as they look like they have never moved.

This is my first classic car and I am slowly realising that there is more to it than I thought. Still good fun though.

When drilling the floor fixing holes in Racetorations' cover, wedge the cover into the required position (don't hurry this - get it right using as many wedges as possible!). then drill as many holes as possible from beneath the car and inside engine compartment, using a drill which will pass through the thread into the cover.

Then open up each of these holes to fit the bolts/screws.

Make templates for the position of each of the holes which you cannot access from beneath.

Secure the cover through the holes already drilled, then use the templates to mark the position of each of the other holes, and drill a small hole for each - this will tell you how well you have estimated the positions - you may find that you need to move sideways using a small file.

Finally, increase the size of these extra holes using drill/file, as necessary.

I did this with an earlier Racetorations cover in 2004 - back then, there was no hole provided then for the gearbox filler on the left side, and I think I had to fettle some other parts.  However, with patience, it does work well.

Ian Cornish

3 hours ago, R1ceman said:

The car came with a fresh MOT when I bought it so I'm hoping that the chassis is in decent order, I will ask them to check it over when I have the floor welded. My first job is to try and loosen the floor bolts as they look like they have never moved.

This is my first classic car and I am slowly realising that there is more to it than I thought. Still good fun though.

fresh MOT aye:ph34r:

4 hours ago, R1ceman said:

Two suggestions: join the TR Register, and ask someone in your local group to check it out for you.

Do you have a name and location?

Pete

4 hours ago, Z320 said:

Good morning,

on TR2-3 they have been made from sheet steel?

Does anybody know how thick the sheet steel was?

And what material was it later originally?

Thanks in advance.

Marco

1.2mm on original steel for the 2/3 and the later covers were then made from a pressed fibreboard which wasnt particularly long lasting.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
39 minutes ago, Z320 said:

Ups, 1.2 mm is solid!

Thank you Stuart!

I want to make one my own and get 0.6  mm easy

I suspect that thickness would be too flimsy.

Stuart.

19 hours ago, stillp said:

Two suggestions: join the TR Register, and ask someone in your local group to check it out for you.

Do you have a name and location?

Pete

Hi Pete, 

I have joined the register and I am looking into finding someone who can do a good repair, we have a few people in my local car club who may be able to do it.  We all meet up next Thursday so I will be making enquiries then. I am based in Ipswich.

Cheers,

Andy Rice

23 hours ago, ianc said:

When drilling the floor fixing holes in Racetorations' cover, wedge the cover into the required position (don't hurry this - get it right using as many wedges as possible!). then drill as many holes as possible from beneath the car and inside engine compartment, using a drill which will pass through the thread into the cover.

Then open up each of these holes to fit the bolts/screws.

Make templates for the position of each of the holes which you cannot access from beneath.

Secure the cover through the holes already drilled, then use the templates to mark the position of each of the other holes, and drill a small hole for each - this will tell you how well you have estimated the positions - you may find that you need to move sideways using a small file.

Finally, increase the size of these extra holes using drill/file, as necessary.

I did this with an earlier Racetorations cover in 2004 - back then, there was no hole provided then for the gearbox filler on the left side, and I think I had to fettle some other parts.  However, with patience, it does work well.

Ian Cornish

Thanks Ian, this will be very helpful, much appreciated.

Andy Rice

• 2 months later...

Update:

I took my car to TRGB for them to assess the floor and it was worse than I thought. It is now having new floors and inner and outer sills fitted. I've asked them to fit a new gearbox cover whilst they're at it. The cost is going to be eye watering, thankfully the Mrs took the news remarkable well.

Happy motoring,

Andy