New 165 won`t fit in spare wheel compartment.

Decided it would be a wise move to replace the Firestone Cavalino 165 tyre that I used as a spare last year, as all indications were that it was manufactured sometime in the 70s. Having said that it was still very supple, and no sign of any cracking in either the side wall or the tread, so I guess it had been out of the sun, probably as a spare, most of its life.

As I am running 185/70 Dimax Classic ( yes I know, but they were a reasonable price and I have noticed no problems with them), I decided on a 165 version of the same tyre.

Spent a couple of hours yesterday swapping the tyres and fitting a new tube, only to find that the Dimax will not go in the spare wheel compartment inflated. Now going to have to buy a 12v tyre inflator to carry inside the spare wheel to blow it up if needed.

On the positive side I found that the removed 185 wheel and tyre will fit in a bag on the front passenger seat, a-la Porsche. ( Sorry love you will have to get out and walk)

Ralph

Ralph 

I had a similar problem but have now changed my spare from a 72 spoke wire to a 48, which I assume is a bit narrower and it will now go in, and ofcourse a punctured 165 tyre on a 72 spoke wheel will also just go in.

George 

The Volvo V40 space saver is 15” and fits car and compartment.  In fact you can get your hand over  the top of the spare when it is in the spare wheel hole.  (More space for spares I hear you shout!)

You need the early 4 stud pattern Volvo spare.   I would also use a 1/4” spacer to move the Volvo wheel out from the mounting face a touch.

Cheap to buy at around £30. Usually unused.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403514994782?hash=item5df35e305e:g:VyMAAOSwFxZiITRY

8 minutes ago, harlequin said:

Ralph 

I had a similar problem but have now changed my spare from a 72 spoke wire to a 48, which I assume is a bit narrower and it will now go in, and ofcourse a punctured 165 tyre on a 72 spoke wheel will also just go in.

George 

Spare wheel is a 60 spoke, and went in easily with the old Firestone tyre, but not with the new one. Both are 165/80s. New tyre must be fatter when inflated than old one. I would buy a different 165 if I knew it would fit in, but don`t want to spend on another tyre and end up in the same situation. 

What width are your 72 spoke wires?, mine are from a TR6 and I think they are 5.5inch.

Ralph

1 minute ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

The Volvo V40 space saver is 15” and fits car and compartment.  In fact you can get your hand over  the top of the spare when it is in the spare wheel hole.  (More space for spares I hear you shout!)

You need the early 4 stud pattern Volvo spare.   I would also use a 1/4” spacer to move the Volvo wheel out from the mounting face a touch.

Cheap to buy at around £30. Usually unused.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/403514994782?hash=item5df35e305e:g:VyMAAOSwFxZiITRY

Thanks Peter, I am on wires so shorter studs, so couldn`t run a spacer.

Ralph

Ralph. Is your 3A a post 60000 one, with the raised hinges, & raised boot floor ? I ask because I have the raised boot floor in my 3, and although I am running TR6 steel wheels (5.5") my spare is a 165 on a 4" rim. I'm wondering if a 165 would fit in on a 5.5" wheel.

Bob

Edited by Lebro

Ralph 

I have just had a look at my spare, there are no markings on the wheel but it measures 4 1/4" outside of seating so it must be a 4J. The road wheels are 5 1/2J also from a TR6, the tyres are Nankang 165 80

George 

4 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Ralph. Is your 3A a post 60000 one, with the raised hinges, & raised boot floor ? I ask because I have the raised boot floor in my 3, and although I am running TR6 steel wheels (5.5") my spare is a 165 on a 4" rim. I'm wondering if a 165 would fit in on a 5.5" wheel.

Bob

Bob

My 3A is the later type with raised hinges and the 165 80 on a 5.5 wheel won't go in inflated. When I tried it went partway in and then was a real effort to get it out again.

George 

Thanks, so would probably need to store flat, & then inflate once out then.   May just stick with the 4" spare which fits in easily with a 165 tyre on it.

Bob

54 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Thanks, so would probably need to store flat, & then inflate once out then.   May just stick with the 4" spare which fits in easily with a 165 tyre on it.

Bob

Sticking with the 4" rim is what I will do, I definitely don't want to spend extra time on the edge of a motorway pumping a spare up.

George 

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

Bob

My 3A is the later type with raised hinges and the 165 80 on a 5.5 wheel won't go in inflated. When I tried it went partway in and then was a real effort to get it out again.

George 

But did you say that it would fit when deflated?

Ralph

It is a post 60000 car, so has the bigger well anyway and should have coped.

Just been out and measured the spare wheel and it is a 4.5 inch rim, so maybe a 4 inch rim would just nip the sidewalls in a bit to allow the 165 to fit. The old 165 fitted easily though, so must be down to different tyre brands. The Dimax does have a raised rim protector band on one sidewall which I fit to the inside, prefering the older looking other side, and this band is probably what is making the difference.

I will stick with what I have got for now, I have had to let the tyre down to  about 10psi to get it in and will carry an inflator for if I need to use the spare. I have a 12v socket in the car anyway so shouldn`t be too much hassle, just a nuisance I wasn`t expecting as the old tyre fitted fully inflated with loads of room.

Ralph