TR5 wipers arms and blades

Took the 5 out this evening. Got back into it to return home, started to rain and lo and behold drivers wiper arm has disappeared. Can’t have fallen off and who would steal it?
Anyway I need to replace it so any advice on where to buy one from would be very welcome. This missing one was an original. Are repros any good?
Many thanks

Tim

Roger/Chris,

Many thanks for views. Will certainly try the silicon blades, just awaiting a call from Carl at TR Trader to see if he has a good original arm before addressing your suggestions.

Cheers,

Tim

I got fed up with the originals coming off in pouring rain at night so fitted the ones with the cam type and screw which locks it on securely. I then decided to upgrade years later to the TR6 set up  for my TR5 and what an upgrade it is and now confident whatever is thrown at it.

Regards Harry TR5 N (Nutter)

7 minutes ago, harrytr5 said:

I got fed up with the originals coming off in pouring rain at night so fitted the ones with the cam type and screw which locks it on securely. I then decided to upgrade years later to the TR6 set up  for my TR5 and what an upgrade it is and now confident whatever is thrown at it.

Regards Harry TR5 N (Nutter)

Where did you get the upgraded ones from Harry?

Used  brand new TR6 wiper motor and new gear (inside motor)wiper spindles, wiper arms and wiper blades.Second hand MGB plinth for the wiper motor and re-configured the outer shaft guide from motor to wiper spindles. Changed the switch to a TR6 with four terminal (TR5 has three) then rewired as per TR6. The result was perfect for me and has been done many times I believe.

Lot of work but oh so worth it.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

20211005_181813_resized.jpg

20211005_181819_resized.jpg

20211005_181844_resized.jpg

Thanks Harry. I think that I will try the simple route first, as you say sounds a lot of work!
Cheers,

Tim

13 hours ago, harrytr5 said:

Used  brand new TR6 wiper motor and new gear (inside motor)wiper spindles, wiper arms and wiper blades.Second hand MGB plinth for the wiper motor and re-configured the outer shaft guide from motor to wiper spindles. Changed the switch to a TR6 with four terminal (TR5 has three) then rewired as per TR6. The result was perfect for me and has been done many times I believe.

Lot of work but oh so worth it.

Regards Harry TR5 Nutter

20211005_181813_resized.jpg

20211005_181819_resized.jpg

20211005_181844_resized.jpg

Drivers side wiper wont last long by landing on the screen rubber like that Harry.

Stuart.

On 3/13/2022 at 9:34 PM, Tim T said:

Thanks Harry. I think that I will try the simple route first, as you say sounds a lot of work!
Cheers,

Tim

But Tim it is so worth it with a more powerful motor and decent wiper arms/blades. Different between night and day!

Regards Harry TR5N

Hi Folks,

I changed my TR4A wiper motor to the TR6 14W about 5 years ago. I paid a fortune to get the original running as it was intended but it was just wasted money.

I fitted the 14W, changed the internal gear wheel to a 90 tooth (95 would be better) and have enjoyed reliable wipers ever since. 

For my 4A I kept the original wheel boxes (hence the 90 tooth gear) tis improves the motor torque.  No trouble in sweeping a dry screen.

Changing the switch to a toggle was an inconvenience but it works well.  Would the TR6 rotary switch be better !!!!

Roger

Harry/Roger

I don't doubt what you both say but at the moment I just want to get another drivers side wiper arm and blade to match the cranked original.

If you have replaced your originals I don't suppose that you still have them, for a fee ?

Thanks again,

Tim

33 minutes ago, Tim T said:

Harry/Roger

I don't doubt what you both say but at the moment I just want to get another drivers side wiper arm and blade to match the cranked original.

If you have replaced your originals I don't suppose that you still have them, for a fee ?

Thanks again,

Tim

Just buy new from here Tim https://texautomotive.com/product-category/wipers/wiper-arms/

Stuart.

18 minutes ago, stuart said:

Many thanks Stuart.

Tim T. 

With reference to siIicone wiper blades I am allergic to Revington's prices . I did some research and found that a 525mm PIAA Super Silicone Wiper Refill could be purchased from www.tdcautomotive.com for £14.79 including shipping. The TDC model number is SKR52E. The refill comes in a 6mm wide plastic backing strip, the correct width for the original TR4 or 4A blade carriers. If it is carefully cut exactly in half it provides two blades of the correct length for our cars. The 525mm refill comes with locking notches near one end of the plastic carrier. You just need carefully to cut matching notches on the other half you have cut off. The end jaws on the blade holders locate in these notches while the refill should be a sliding fit in the other jaws, which can be gently reshaped if necessary. These silicone blades deposit a hydrophilic film on the screen that causes water to bead; they are quiet in use, heat and ozone resistant with the promise of long life. They are the best blades I have ever found.

Tim