Regarding the GFE 104 oil filter element for a TR4A, does someone know which of the two rubber seals which are supplied should be used with the Tecalemit filter head, the wide one or the narrow one?  The Moss catalogue tells me that it is vital to use the right one, but doesn't say which is the right one for which head.

David Morgan 

David,

At the risk of asking an obvious question…

Have you checked if the old one is still in the head and could be used for comparison?
They get pushed in very tight and just looking you can’t really tell. You need to poke around with a scribe to see if there is anything there.

If it is not there and the head is off the car, you should be able to tell which one is needed by offering it up to the place where it goes and going for the best fit.

Charlie.

Yes I've checked - I'm aware of that particular catch!

The head is still on the car - I wasn't going to take it off unless all else fails.  I checked with Moss technical dept, but they don't know either!  I'm about to try the wider ring, and I'll report back.

David 

I’ve just had a look and I’ve got a sample of both types of seal and a spare Purolator head.

The wider seal seems to fit nice and snug in the head, so I would guess that the thinner seal is for the Tecalemit head.

Unless anyone knows different…

Charlie.