SU carb throttle spindle bushes

Maybe I am being over cautious.

The new spindle measures 0.311 and an 8mm drill measures 0.314 with my old micrometer. 

The drill will enter the body at both ends but will not go through so I have less than 0.003 clearance which is probably acceptable. The old spindle is down to 0.304 in worst place.

Thanks Eddie 

.003" is quite a big clearance. I used a 5/16 - 11/32 expanding reamer, removing a very small amount of material each time until the spindle was a tight fit then used a fine emery paper to finish. 

Alan

Dont forget if reaming bushes on carb bodies you need a long pilot reamer so you ream both sides concentrically or you`ll get binding.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

I understood that that SU  HS range the bush is cast in when made, so cannot really be replaced without having some good tools, reaming, and then oversize shaft seems the best option, the HIF range are the only ones you can knock out the old bush and put new in, then use a new shaft as well, careful to get the bush in far enough, and then shape the bush to the inside diameter of the body to make a good air light seal at the bush.

John

18 hours ago, Eddie Trickett said:

I have just bought some new spindles because my old ones are badly worn.

There was someone on ebay offering a re-bushing service but I can't find them now.

Does anyone know where I could get this done?

Thanks Eddie 

Eddie, I don't know about Ebay, but I had my SUs done by Burlen Services down near Winchester. Well, I thought it was Winchester but I see their address is Salisbury now. Of course, this was back in about 1990. The main thing they did was ream and bush the body as the spindle holes were oval, and fit new spindles. I was very happy with the result back then. I'm sure you will find other places offering a similar service.

Cheers, Richard