Guess which one works, new out of the box or 63yr old original :angry:

Stuart.

5598D5DE-789E-4B74-A234-AAF402BAA239.jpeg

No surprise just spent an afternoon either adapting or binning another batch of Rimmers finest; plastic battery tray (too big), heater vent spring, gasket and push rod (bin all either too thick, wrong shape or both), wiper motor strap (one leg longer than other), disintegrating rubber grommets from a car set that's not a full car set. How they get away flogging this C--P is beyond me must be a blind man measuring. The parts should come with a metal health warning!

Had to laugh when the offer of the extended discount sale offer came through the letterbox with the latest TR Action mind you it was good for getting a bonfire going!

12 hours ago, PodOne said:

No surprise just spent an afternoon either adapting or binning another batch of Rimmers finest; plastic battery tray (too big), heater vent spring, gasket and push rod (bin all either too thick, wrong shape or both), wiper motor strap (one leg longer than other), disintegrating rubber grommets from a car set that's not a full car set. How they get away flogging this C--P is beyond me must be a blind man measuring. The parts should come with a metal health warning!

Had to laugh when the offer of the extended discount sale offer came through the letterbox with the latest TR Action mind you it was good for getting a bonfire going!

Now you see why I wont buy from them.

Stuart.

10 minutes ago, stuart said:

Now you see why I wont buy from them.

Stuart.

Sure do but 3 1/2 years ago when I knew no better I fell into the discounted sale trap - hope others avoid my mistake and keep their sanity and buy elsewhere.

As I've said before I'll be physically taking the whole lot back in due course once I've no doubt added to the collection of scrap parts.

Andy

Edited by PodOne

I ran out of patience with Rimmers when they said the parcel was at the Tamworth (Parcel) depot and I could try going there to find it!

My response was a very restrained one when I pointed out that havimg paid them for next day delivery and that still not turning up after 2 weeks it was his job to call the couriers not me the customer who should drive 25 miles to a random parcel depo the size of several aircraft hangers and ask to look for my parcel! Moron.
It is your problem when the couriers you engage don't do the job the customer has paid you for!

Totally different response to Manners Triumph who, when something didn't arrive on time, sent it out again overnight with a different courier. No hassle and included return instructions in case the original turned up.  Proper service.

Why not have a pinned thread to list all the Rimmer parts that are wrong, don’t fit, etc etc

that formites can add to

then we regularly send them a link. 
they can then take ownership and fix the issues or maintain their current business model … but with less and less TR customers. 

Some rant over certain car broker business tactics  but are happy to see shoddy parts marketed via a TR Action handout.

just a thought. 

You pays you money etc.

I bought a hood stick cover from Moss, it was not wide enough to be fitted. I got a refund,  bought a Rimmers one it fitted ok.

I have bought quite a few things from Rimmers over the years, generaly they have been ok. 

TR shop is still my 1st port of call.

Bob

Edited by Lebro
1 minute ago, Lebro said:

You pays you money etc.

I bought a hood stick cover from Moss, it was not wide enough to be fitted. I got a refund,  bought a Rimmers one it fitted ok.

I have bought quite a few things from Rimmers over the years, generaly they have been ok. 

TR shop is still my 1st port of call.

Bob

Me too Bob but there are clearly some lines that are regularly struggle to meet Fit for purpose criteria.

Chaps,

I think we need to be careful here, sharing experience is one thing, rounding on a supplier,

any supplier, can be problematic.

1) We have measures in place under, e.g. Our Title, Best TR Parts and Suppliers, where we can recommend, from experience items.

That section specifically asks not to criticise a particular supplier, openly, but rather in a PM, this is for a number of reasons, just one of which is that it might,

not be the part, but the fitter!

I feel that we should, as a movement be really rather appreciative, of our suppliers, I cannot ever remember a TR being off the road for want of an unobtainable part, can't say that for many cars less than ten years old.

The essence of the problem for me is not that we sometimes get defective items, I'm afraid that is going to happen, but rather how the issue is dealt with.

I recently had a problem with an item, and no it should not have happened, but the manner in which it was resolved, was to my complete satisfaction.

Generally slagging off a supplier in open forum, is for me akin to shouting down a phone or banging a counter, there are better ways to get things resolved, and at least if we are going to mention the problems we shoud be balancing that with the many, many non problems, were a part is supplied and proves to be 'Fit for purpose'

John.

John is correct, there is no point shouting at these suppliers of rubbish parts, we have been doing it for years with absolutely no progress on quality.

This https://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/faulty/ft_parts.htm is from an American MG site which guides people away from defective parts and is a good example of an alternative way of tackling the problem.

George 

As Roger says,
If you want to help improving the parts, fill in the PQI. 
Complaining on here may relieve your frustrations (which is also :rolleyes:) but does not lead to structural improvements. Issues adressed by the PQI team get a proper follow-up and some of the vendors (not all, unfortunately, is my personal experience) have improved their designs (the bonnet catch is an example) when flagged in this way.

Waldi

Hi Folks,

the PQI system does work but it relies totally on your input.  If you have rubbish report it.

6 years ago the pqi were told of an issue with a gearbox part. We spoke to the supplier and he sorted out his stock but!!!

3 years ago there was another GB issue and it transpired that the initial supplier had had passed on half their stock before the first complaint.

The GB & OD needed a complete rebuild. The first supplier took this under their wing and sorted out the rebuild

From this the PQI were able to improve their process

Send in your queries. WE WILL FOLLOW THEM UP.

PS - sometimes it is finger trouble and our investigations can wheedle these out.

Roger

Rodger

Do you think it would be beneficial to have a list of the parts that have been rectified through your PQI scheme, and maybe include a list of the parts that are work in progress?

As an aside I do have trouble finding  the PQI area on this website. A dedicated heading would give it more of a presence, then members could check it before purchasing parts.

George 

Hi George,

your idea of showing the parts and were from is not that easy.

We post on here our results The issue is usually high lighted here in the first place.

If we had a list of the successes it would not necessarily help as members may buy cheapo rubbish off Ebay and expect diamonds.

The fact that supplier A has sorted his stock supplier B may not want to go that route - there are so many suppliers

Sadly there is no one way of doing this.

The PQI approach is to receive a query and sort that. The fact that it is sorted is only part way. We can only hope that the supplier doesn't go back to cheap rubbish.

I have learned that if that supplier sells on to other suppliers then they need chasing up also.

I have tried to get the PQI banner placed more openly but what we have at the moment is the best we can hope for. 

You will need to hassle the committee if you want it more obvious.   At the moment it is in the 'The Cars' drop down menu.

Roger

Edited by RogerH

I kind of agree and disagree with the above I've had so many issues with parts from this particular supplier I have forgotten what a lot of them are and no doubt still to find as the fitted parts are pressed into use going forward. Past dealings with them on the phone has come to nothing with the usual "we have sold hundreds and never had a problem sir" 

Price is one thing, measuring and reproducing something to the same size isn't difficult as it stands its just a waste of world resource and everyones time and money namely mine. Based on price alone parts might have a shorter design life than the same part a legibly made from better materials and tolerance but they should at least fit and last 12 months normal use. Yes I might have a moan on here but only to save other members hard earned cash from wasting their money. Saying nothing wouldn't help us all, a supplier with lots of dead stock will benefit as the supplier with the known better quality parts will prosper. The dead stock man is either out of business, learns from the mistake and offers better parts in future. The fear of us having no parts suppliers if we complain too much is flawed there is always somebody ready to fill the gap or already here it's just about publicising who and who not to buy from based on end user satisfaction. As long as we keep the cars on the road there will be a parts market.

That said I'm never afraid of confronting anybody or company if the product or service is less than what should be reasonably expected until its resolved; Customer from hell I hear you say and you would be right if I think I'm being sold a pup!

The PQI is a great process but only if the parts in question keep cropping up as an issue. The ones I have generally had issues with are all generally small "cheaper" items of between £5-25 so the pressure for quality and change is less as the consequences of using them are less. The layshaft issue given the time and expense warrants the time and effort to press for change; Thanks all involved I can imagine it was a long battle.

So what have I learned; ask a knowledgeable member(s) first, buy second on recommendation and if at all possible recondition/buy OEM parts or make your own if possible.  

Andy

The parts manager at TRGB told me recently that they ordered a stock of a part (I think it was some sort of bracket) from a UK manufacturer who supplies Moss with the same part, when it arrived it was wrong so back it went with an original to use as a template.

The manufacturer remade the part and all is good, but when TRGB reorder they have to specify the "modified " part as the manufacturer still makes the faulty part for supply to Moss!  A lot of this **** is fairly easy to get made right but as Andy pointed out the suppliers near an incentive to address the issues.

George 

Hi Andy,

the PQI team have spoken to all the big suppliers and they were all polite and sensible.

If you have a problem with an item costing £5 then speak to the supplier and then send in a PQI form and we will follow it up to see what action has been taken.

A couple of years back somebody queried the very small hexagonal stand offs that fit inside the DR3/3A wiper motor - too short.

These were from David Manners. They said (as they all do) they can't be wrong as we have sold hundreds Rodney. 

IanB popped along with an old one, a good new one and their one and showed a very senior person what we had.  They got the box from the stores - guess what - all too short.

Somebody had topped the box up with the wrong (Jag) items.    These cost £6.

Raise a PQI form - it is so easy.

Roger

Thanks Roger.

Rather than keep moaning and when I get a bit of time I'll get the bits together and fill a batch of PQI's in.

Andy

On 3/8/2022 at 11:58 AM, John Morrison said:

Chaps,

I think we need to be careful here, sharing experience is one thing, rounding on a supplier,

any supplier, can be problematic.

1) We have measures in place under, e.g. Our Title, Best TR Parts and Suppliers, where we can recommend, from experience items.

That section specifically asks not to criticise a particular supplier, openly, but rather in a PM, this is for a number of reasons, just one of which is that it might,

not be the part, but the fitter!

I feel that we should, as a movement be really rather appreciative, of our suppliers, I cannot ever remember a TR being off the road for want of an unobtainable part, can't say that for many cars less than ten years old.

The essence of the problem for me is not that we sometimes get defective items, I'm afraid that is going to happen, but rather how the issue is dealt with.

I recently had a problem with an item, and no it should not have happened, but the manner in which it was resolved, was to my complete satisfaction.

Generally slagging off a supplier in open forum, is for me akin to shouting down a phone or banging a counter, there are better ways to get things resolved, and at least if we are going to mention the problems we shoud be balancing that with the many, many non problems, were a part is supplied and proves to be 'Fit for purpose'

John.

+1 and I have dealt with them over 30 years + and any problems always sorted it must be down to establishing a right attitude