It Lives! (briefly)

Hello

This afternoon, after a pause of about 7 years and some protracted refurb work of fuel tank, fuel lines, carbs, hydraulics, pedal box etc, I finally put petrol in the tank, hooked up the rather tired battery and behold - It Started! But only briefly.....

Still, a Start is a Start. It ran very badly and conked out after a few moments. Checking for problems I realised I had rather stupidly omitted a carb float - but there was very little fuel in the bowls. I have a 3A type pump with the priming lever, and although it had worked well earlier in the day (and much better than years ago) it now wasnt doing much, apart from a gasping noise when the carb end was disconnected. The glass fuel bowl is full. It could be the pump/valves have failed - but I suspect I'm out of fuel. I had put about half a can of petrol in, and it had flowed quite spectacularly with the line to the pump input free.

Hence: lesson 1 - sparks (yes), fuel (no) = no start

Any other thoughts? I checked out the fuel pump as part of the refurb and all looked well.

regards, Adrian

I suspect out of fuel, half a can will barely cover the bottom of the tank.

Ralph

Hi & thanks for asking.

Yes - out of fuel. My starting technique is to squirt a bit of "Holts Cold Start" aerosol into the carbs intake, as if it was a reluctant lawn-mower, after plug removal & spinning it to get the oil pressure up. Anyhow, after a few tries it started running on all 4 & smoothed itself out.

It isnt running well, and rather lumpy - but I expect the ignition & carbs need significant adjustments. What was rather rewarding was the enthusiasm of the fuel pump - dont think its ever been this effective -  the surprise that the electrical/charging system seemed to work, and that fuel lines & carb connections are dry. 

Next is a brake rebuild, and the radiator is suspect.

Edited by adriantr4
typo