Hi Folks,

I just has cause to look up the current price of StarChem Synstrip PS-50 paint stripper- WOW

My last 5l can was apprx £30.   It is now in excess of £90 - what happened there then.

Roger

PS - I have found it cheaper on-line. The above is the Ebay price !!!!!

Edited by RogerH
Up date

That Synstrip product is Methylene Chloride based.  Here in the States, they have recently restricted the sale of Methylene Chloride strippers from the general public.  I can still get it if I'm clever enough, but the price has jumped.

The frustrating part is that some stripper manufacturers still sell strippers in cans that look just like the old product, but have replaced the formula with something vastly less effective. 

Are MC strippers still freely available in England?

Ed

3 minutes ago, ed_h said:

That Synstrip product is Methylene Chloride based.  Here in the States, they have recently restricted the sale of Methylene Chloride strippers from the general public.  I can still get it if I'm clever enough, but the price has jumped.

The frustrating part is that some stripper manufacturers still sell strippers in cans that look just like the old product, but have replaced the formula with something vastly less effective. 

Are MC strippers still freely available in England?

Ed

The Starchem stripper is currently about the only one that actually works over here now, the old faithful Nitromors which was always a great product no longer works at all.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

The Starchem stripper is currently about the only one that actually works over here now, the old faithful Nitromors which was always a great product no longer works at all.

Stuart.

We had some old reliable brands too, but with the new nanny-state regulations, they have all gone wimpy.  There is typically little obvious indication on the packaging that anything has changed, except maybe "New improved formula!" In small print.

I can usually still get the good stuff from "professional use only" sources, but I fear these might dry up, too.

Ed

8 hours ago, Tony_C said:

Brake fluid might be just as cost effective now Roger…

But it never works when you want it to.

I wanted to strip badly chipped black paint from some dash instrument bezels, so I could repaint them.
I had a tin labeled “Used brake fluid” on my shelf, waiting for the day that it “Would come in useful.”

I put the bezels and brake fluid into an old ready-meal tray (again from the “Do not throw away“ shelf) for 2 days.

Nothing happened to the paint.

If you want a paint finish for your car that will not be attacked by brake fluid simply find out what paint was used for instrument bezels back in the 60’s/70’s.

Any colour you want, as long as it is “Smiths bezel black.”

Charlie.

When I was pulling my 4A apart, the boot lid had been primed with something that resisted all the paint strippers I tried, even the 'old formula' Nitromors. I left it until I had the time and inclination to sand the paint off, and when I stripped the hydraulics, I threw the rag I'd used to mop up the brake fluid onto the boot lid. A few months later I grabbed the rag while trying to tidy up, and the paint came with it, as well as some filler!

Pete

Hi Roger

I used 5L of this stuff on all the panels inside and out "Maxolen Power Strip Strong Paint Striper Gel PS25" off E Bay.

It proved very effective on everything from 2k, cellulose, thin under-seal and even body filler just don't let it dry out and keep agitating it until the paint starts to blister, most of it came off after one application with a second I was down to metal. Washed the panels with lots of soapy water and baked the panels outside on a hot day. Seemed very potent if the formula remains the same now with lots of fumes so use a mask and have good ventilation. 

Andy

• 1 year later...

Hello team, I am preparing to restore a couple of old steel Surrey hardtops. Have never undertaken a project like this before and trying to do my research before i touch them. Rather than blasting which i understand can seriously heat warp panels i think i have decided to go down the paint stripper road. From reading this and other threads this is what i have so far:

Choose from Blackfriars paint stripper, Maxolen power strip gel PS25 or Starchem synstrip PS-50 (any other input on these choices apart from what has already been mentioned on this thread?) Once applied, what are the best options of removal and cleaning? Hot air gun? Wire wool, glass paper?

Next stage Jenolite to kill rust.

Weld in replacement sections. Titivate and then a coating of Bondarust before filler, primer, paint etc.

Any serious flaws in my thinking?

Thanks in advance, Richard

Remember your PPE -  goggles/face mask, gloves, bucket of clean water to wash any spillage off your body/skin.  Ventilation.

I would go  for StarChem Synstrip - I know that it easily burns the skin.

Remove the heavy layers with a scraper.

Remove the light remains with stripper and wire wool.

Be very very careful

Roger

Not chemical but I've been using a "non woven preparation wheel" from Screwfix  part no. 606JJ in my angle grinder. Not cheap but I found them excellent at removing paint and light rust. Keep it moving as they generate heat and could create distortion in larger panels

1 minute ago, Xmas6 said:

Not chemical but I've been using a "non woven preparation wheel" from Screwfix  part no. 606JJ in my angle grinder. Not cheap but I found them excellent at removing paint and light rust. Keep it moving as they generate heat and could create distortion in larger panels

These are sold at most car show tool tables.  Apprx 3/8" wide  with a mandrel for a drill chuck.  usually about £2 ea Excellent  product

Roger