Not that I agree but this is “small money” compared to the annual EU natural gas import from there; 40% of EU consumption is imported from Russia.

https://www.iea.org/news/how-europe-can-cut-natural-gas-imports-from-russia-significantly-within-a-year

Hi Pete,
I agree; maybe this is because we cannot create (build) that capacity in a short time so it is not a serious option?

Waldi

A local gas boiler manufacturer is already developing boilers that will run on natural gas with up to 40% hydrogen added, and there are plans to add 20% to mains gas supplies in the UK. Some more information at https://www.britishgas.co.uk/the-source/greener-living/hydrogen-boilers.html

Where the hydrogen is going to come from is another matter though.

Pete

59 minutes ago, stillp said:

Where the hydrogen is going to come from is another matter though

Hopefully from seawater https://www.designboom.com/technology/hydrogen-fuel-seawater-university-central-florida-ucf-researchers-electrolysis-10-03-2021/
or other similar research may produce other alternatives.
Ian

For central heating, electric driven heat pumps are the future.  Not fired boilers; these will be old timers in one or 2 decades.

For the longer term, the use of hydrogen as a solution for CO2 emissions is not effective at lower percentages (like 40%) of Hydrogen and 60% natural gas. This is caused by the much (much) lower caloric value of H2 compared to CH(n+2).

Waldi

5 hours ago, Waldi said:

For central heating, electric driven heat pumps are the future.  Not fired boilers; these will be old timers in one or 2 decades.

For the longer term, the use of hydrogen as a solution for CO2 emissions is not effective at lower percentages (like 40%) of Hydrogen and 60% natural gas. This is caused by the much (much) lower caloric value of H2 compared to CH(n+2).

Waldi

Or we can simply do without central heating and retreat to one heavily-insulated room shared with the cooker etc., in winter.  I grew up with a 1950s version of that and came to no harm. if it helps defeat Putin and we see him at The Hague facing war crimes, I'm more than happy to endure 1950s lifestyle  again.

Peter

Peter

9 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

...retreat to one heavily-insulated room shared with the cooker etc...

When I was at school we were told that people in Germany built their houses on top of cowsheds. (I did go to school quite a long time ago.)
When you think of it it does seem a sensible idea. All that heat from the cow’s bodies normally just escapes into the atmosphere and has no benefit.
Plus, if you could make the room airtight you could capture the methane whenever the cows farted and make use of it somehow.

Charlie.

Ice on the inside of windows,

frozen pipes in the loft,

frozen milk on the doorstep

Frozen steam engines in the middle of nowhere

Chapped legs (stupid schoolboy shorts)

Frozen fingers (stupid snowballs)

I survived the winters of 62 & 63   It did me no harm what so ever. However I long for an igloo.

Roger

This morning I had to fill the Saab.

My usual garage is Sainsbury's just around the corner- it had traffic jams left right and centre.

So I went to my local Esso about 5 miles West. Normal premium is £163.9 - wow. I put in 30Ltr @£50

Coming home I passed a BP station that I rarely go in and premium was £154.9.  There is some profiteering going on here

So I then took the 4A out to top up.I went to a Shell garage 2 miles North of me it was £155.9

You do need to shop around

Roger

I remember petrol prices of 99 Pfennige (0,49 Euro) in the 1970-ies when I was a child.
That was pretty much money in these days and my Mum and Dad told me people will not drive anymore with prices above 1 Mark.

Kerosene for heating down here is £1.65 thats three times what it was 6mths ago.

Stuart.

Anyone using www.petrolprices.com?

I'm making a long, looping trip starting later this week, to the wild West (of London)

Reading, Bristol, Ashbury, Henley on Thames, Wallingford, Oxford, Henley, Didcot, Henley, Morton in the Marsh and home.

I've got petrol prices app on my phone and it gives me the prices from all the fuel stations in any requested area

It doesn't stop the cost hurting, it just reduces the pain

34 minutes ago, JohnG said:

Anyone using www.petrolprices.com?

I'm making a long, looping trip starting later this week, to the wild West (of London)

Reading, Bristol, Ashbury, Henley on Thames, Wallingford, Oxford, Henley, Didcot, Henley, Morton in the Marsh and home.

I've got petrol prices app on my phone and it gives me the prices from all the fuel stations in any requested area

It doesn't stop the cost hurting, it just reduces the pain

Hijohn,

for cheap(er) fuel just concentrate on the supermarkets.

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hijohn,

for cheap(er) fuel just concentrate on the supermarkets.

Roger

True, but  in Swindon for example there are 2 Sainsburys 2 Asda and a Tesco, with 8p/ltr between the lowest price and the highest.

That equates to a fiver per tank full

Given the hardship of increasing fuel prices surly it's time for the government to peg the prices fuel companies and filling stations can charge to that of the lowest price available or at least the average.

Or being cynical they know the higher it goes the more revenue they bring in.

Andy

22 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Given the hardship of increasing fuel prices surly it's time for the government to peg the prices fuel companies and filling stations can charge to that of the lowest price available or at least the average.

Or being cynical they know the higher it goes the more revenue they bring in.

Andy

We have had these prices before and nothing done then that will not change and you have been warned we all will pay the price for what’s going on 

9 minutes ago, ntc said:

We have had these prices before and nothing done then that will not change and you have been warned we all will pay the price for what’s going on 

Think we are more paying the price for our deadhead politicians mismanaging the breakup of the USSR and throwing away the benefits of North Sea Oil to the highest bidders at the expense of its own people.

I just hope they don't mismanage the current situation as we might all become just dust to the wind. Any bets?

No one has mentioned fracking, made USA a net exporter, talking to a friend (with an interest) he claimed the limitations on the sites were totally unreasonable and designed to fail, just a thought!, cheers, Andrew

Went down to a depot to get kerosene yesterday and talking to the guys running it theyre saying panic buying is also contributing to price increases and shortages again.

Stuart.