I'm afraid we just have to get used to it Roger -  I think the price is only going one way from now on, and it will go much further than that pretty soon. 

I'm not seeing the government reducing the % of fuel duty anytime soon I wonder why as usual "let's keep robbing Joe public" while using the usual excuse of market forces.

They seem to forget that governments past of both persuasions sold off the family silver of North Sea oil and gas to the highest bidder when if they had used common sense we could have been totally self sufficient for years to come and isolated from world affairs. IMO criminal short sightedness.

My fear now is hyper inflation as people suffer the consequences of increased fuel and heating costs which could by next winter see people literally freezing to death along with our own democracy if the general population are riled up enough to take action empty bellies and hardship will do the rest. To hell with global warming and the 1% of emissions we contribute and lets begin again to mine coal and use if we must carbon capture to mitigate while building a range of regional nuclear plants as developed by Rolls Royce. I see Germany is to increase call production. 

I have sympathy for those in Ukraine at the the mercy of the Russian mad man but I think we are in danger here domestically if we continue to ignore ordinary peoples predicament especially those on fixed incomes already on the edge.  Anyone for a World War III I doubt it.

Andy

Edited by PodOne

Definitely heavily loaded with tax in the UK... I just paid £1.089 in Gibraltar today. Spain inland though is €1.599 which equates to £1.34, not sure what it is on the coast though

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Folks,

I have just paid £1.73.9 / Litre for Shell VPower

This near Wimbourne in Dorset.

That is the most I have ever paid - Ouch.

Roger

Good to hear fuel  is “cheap” in the UK (we will visit Scotland soon). Over here V-power and Ultimate is around 2,37 Euro/L (1,95 £/L).

Cheers,
Waldi

32 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Good to hear fuel  is “cheap” in the UK (we will visit Scotland soon). Over here V-power and Ultimate is around 2,37 Euro/L (1,95 £/L).

Cheers,
Waldi

You ain’t seen nothing yet it will go up and up 

You "poor" Southerners Roger, its 157.9 per litre for E5 at Tesco in Carlisle or 161.9 at my local BP garage on the A69 just outside Brampton! 

Derek 

Edited by saffrontr
57 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

You "poor" Southerners Roger, its 157.9 per litre for E5 at Tesco in Carlisle or 161.9 at my local BP garage on the A69 just outside Brampton! 

Derek 

Hi Derek,

I am not a 'poor' southerner.

I am retired so I am rich beyond the dreams of Creosote ( than you Terry P)

As for Southerner - my Genes are from Preston, Lancashire and my other jeans are from Costco.

I think my £1.73.9 beats your absolute bargain price.

Roger

It certainly beats it Roger, I guess you could also say some of my genes are also from Preston, having lived in Chorley for thirty plus years until retirement beckoned a few years back.

Derek

Hi all,

Just filled the tank up on the Seat Alhambra.

Cheap Diesel 64.38 litres @ €1.499 ltr  cost €96.51

When is it going to stop rising!!

Kind Regards,

Dave from Spain

The bigger problem is gas not oil. Next winter will probably bring natural gas prices hiked even more than now (to keep Germany from freezing). That is going to be the big challenge.  Even if Putrid were to stop his war now he has lost the trust the democratic world, and we will be seeking to keep Russia sanctioned until we see real regime change and him and cronies in The Hague. And that means not buying their gas.

Worse than gas is the likely reduction of global wheat production, by ca 20%. Poor nations are going to starve.

Maybe if Russia can be converted to a stable democracy some good can come of this war for the west and for those poor Russians subjugated by yet another tyrant.

Peter

On 3/4/2022 at 9:31 PM, PodOne said:

I'm not seeing the government reducing the % of fuel duty anytime soon I wonder why as usual "let's keep robbing Joe public" while using the usual excuse of market forces.

They seem to forget that governments past of both persuasions sold off the family silver of North Sea oil and gas to the highest bidder when if they had used common sense we could have been totally self sufficient for years to come and isolated from world affairs. IMO criminal short sightedness.

My fear now is hyper inflation as people suffer the consequences of increased fuel and heating costs which could by next winter see people literally freezing to death along with our own democracy if the general population are riled up enough to take action empty bellies and hardship will do the rest. To hell with global warming and the 1% of emissions we contribute and lets begin again to mine coal and use if we must carbon capture to mitigate while building a range of regional nuclear plants as developed by Rolls Royce. I see Germany is to increase call production. 

I have sympathy for those in Ukraine at the the mercy of the Russian mad man but I think we are in danger here domestically if we continue to ignore ordinary peoples predicament especially those on fixed incomes already on the edge.  Anyone for a World War III I doubt it.

Andy

& shut down the gas reserve centre - brilliant 20 : 20 vision

13 minutes ago, Crawfie said:

At work , I’ve heard “rumblings” about the cost of getting to work and that it’s getting harder for them . People are getting worried . 

I think these worries are held by so many, I just hope our bills are the only worries. 

1 hour ago, Crawfie said:

...I’ve heard “rumblings” about the cost of getting to work...

On top of the extra cost of getting to work you may have to start paying over £400 per year just to park your car in the company car park if you live in Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-47089134

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

On top of the extra cost of getting to work you may have to start paying over £400 per year just to park your car in the company car park if you live in Scotland.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-47089134

They were considering doing that in London quite a few moons ago. It wasn't popular.:o 

Roger still has his Petrol coupons for his first TR4A from back in the 70s when they were thinking of Rationing Petrol. Luckily it didn’t quite happen.

30 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

Roger still has his Petrol coupons for his first TR4A from back in the 70s when they were thinking of Rationing Petrol. Luckily it didn’t quite happen.

I think I still have mine somewhere too.

Stuart.

No doubt the consequence of Shell’s ‘difficult decision’ will see a drop in the price of V power at the pumps :angry:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60638255