Narrow fan belt conversion

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice from someone who has fitted one the narrow fan belt conversion kits.

On the crank shaft pulley, should the pulley be pulled in so the dished washer meets the end of the crank shaft.

I have tightened the bolt with quite some force (lined up over key) and torqued the bolt to the given ft/lb. when I have untightened the bolt I still have a 2mm gap between the crank shaft end and the cupped washer. When I put a steel edge on the back of the pulley and line it up with the water pump pulley it looks in line. I would have thought the crank shaft pulley should meet the cupped washer and then be torqued without a gap.

Any advise would be appreciated

Simon

As it happens, I have had to replace the hub seal on my TR4 - a pig of a job as the car has a skid plate welded the the chassis, so access only from above once radiator removed.  Possible only with my son's able assistance, as he is not only younger but has longer arms!

You need a fat washer between hub and fan pulley - see Revington's RTR1027K.

Ian Cornish

Thanks Andrew

I was concerned I hadn't got the pulley on far enough and couldn't understand why there should be a gap between the cup shaped washer and the crank shaft end. It seems logical the cupped washer should butt up to the crank shaft without a gap and be torqued up  

Why have a cupped washer if it doesn't meet the crank shaft?

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
Reread the question