Replacing heater return pipe

Hi All,

When my car was returned from restoration I found that the heater return pipe was not the stainless steel one that had been agreed and was on my bill of materials but an old iron one that had been sprayed silver and was very rusty inside. I have just removed this old pipe which I managed to jiggle out from behind the Phoenix extractor manifold without much difficulty. I just had to remove the radiator stay. However putting in the new stainless steel pipe has me totally baffled. I just can't get it threaded behind the exhaust and it jams on the water pump housing or radiator. Is there a trick to this? I don't want to remove the exhaust manifold unless it is really necessary. Has anyone else done this recently and can tell me how they did it?

Many thanks

Les

Hi All,

Panic over. Its amazing what a spot of lunch and a cup of tea does to my thought processes. The answer was to bend the stay bracket that goes to the gearbox housing up slightly so the total depth of the pipe plus bracket was reduced. It then slipped easily behind the exhaust manifold. Sorry to have troubled you.

Regards

Les